Roos: At what age do they have their full growth?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pawsplus, Oct 11, 2011.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I've read about some HUGE roosters here, and am wondering at what age roosters are as big as they're gonna get. My Bianco is RIR/Brahma, both of which are biggish breeds--how big/heavy is he likely to end up, and at what age?

Thanks!

2. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:At what age they have their full growth depends on the individual breed. Some breeds are slower to mature than others. I think by 6 or 7 months a RIR would have his full size, but I think Brahmas are slower to grow, so it may take your guy a bit longer than that.

3. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Wow! He already seems HUGE, LOL, even compared w/ my biggest hen (red sex-link Svetlana)!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My Thor, a dark brahma, continued to grow and put on weight until he was nearly two years old. He weighed 13 lbs. in his prime. A LF brahma is not considered full grown until they reach two. DH and I were outside watching "chicken TV" yesterday evening and both noted how big my brahma hens are now. They are 3 1/2 years old, just finishing up a molt, and are absolutely huge. The largest hen weighs 9 lbs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by