1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roo's Beak Completely Broken Off

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by taniarinmont, Jul 2, 2016.

1. taniarinmont

taniarinmont New Egg

Mar 23, 2016
    Our rooster was fine last night. When we went to feed and water this morning, we noticed our roo's beak was completely gone...both top and bottom. None of the others were bothering him and he didn't seem to be in pain. He was also drinking and attempting to eat crumbles. We called the vet but it's been quite a while and the on call vet has not called us back yet. Can this heal? I have heard of healing where one part of the beak was gone, but both? We do have some Metacam and would like to give him some because although he isn't showing any distress, I can't imagine this isn't painful. But I have no idea how much. I hope the vet calls back soon.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you know if he was attacked by a predator? Can you post a picture? Surviving without any beak sounds impossible, but one such story exists. Fuzzy Bum was attacked by a dog, and lost her entire beak. It took months for her to learn how to eat again. Tube feeding for some time will be necessary, but it is possible to help him. Feeding tubes and syringes are available online and from a local vet. It will take a lot of your time though. Read here about Fuzzy Bum plus another link about tube feeding:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/848424/plese-help-chickens-beak-got-bit-off
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

3. taniarinmont

taniarinmont New Egg

Mar 23, 2016
    Thank you. There was no evidence of a predator at all. None of the other chickens were affected and they are in a pen which didn't show any sign of anything getting in it. He had no other wounds or anything. He actually is eating, pecking at bugs and drinking with the very tiny bit of what's left. It's very strange. Hubby has pics on his phone so I will have to wait until he gets back to post them.

4. taniarinmont

taniarinmont New Egg

Mar 23, 2016
    Here are some pictures. He seems to be pecking at bugs and eating and drinking, which we found weird. His crop was pretty full, too. There doesn't seem to be any other sign of a predator as the pen was fine and so were all the other chickens. We called all the vets in town and none have any idea what to do or are out until Tuesday. :( We did go ahead and give the poor guy a tiny little bit of pain meds though.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Poor guy. You can try adding some chicken feed, water, raw egg, and plain yogurt making a mash in a deep bowl in order for him to eat. Try a shallow bowl as well to see which is easier for him. But I would check into tube feeding him to give him enough nutrition twic a day until he learns how to eat. The hen in the thread I gave, ate scrambled eggs a great deal when she first started eating. Let us know how he gets along.

6. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    If he wasn't showing other signs of injury or infection until that morning, I am 99% sure that was some sort of predator attack during the night, probably rat, coon or possum. All of which can get through the 2'x4' wire, especially smaller possums & rats.
    I would set a box trap just outside the pen at night, baited with dry cat food, and see what turns up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by