Roos Comb Darkening and Tipping to one side. Pics Attached

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rhino533, Aug 3, 2011.

1. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Today my Bantam Roos Comb started to darken and tip to one side. He also seemed a lot slower today. He's still eating and drinking but just moves a lot slower than he normally does. He also didn't crow today. Yesterday his comb was bright red, today it's much darker and more tipped to one side more than normal. He's just started crowing 3 weeks ago. Does darkening of the comb and tipping mean he's sick? if yes what sickness? cure? Any advice would be great. Thanks!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A heavy worm load or mites/lice load will do this, but then, so will a number of other things, like heart disease. Age? Diet? Do they have access to the woods, compost, or similar? Have you checked the feed for freshness?

3. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Quote:I'll deworm him tomorrow morning. He's about 4.5 months old. He eats normal chicken food that I change regularly and also get's let out of the coup daily to free range. We've had a lot of rain lately (it's the rainy season) and the ground has been pretty wet. He does have access to composting leaves etc. When I purchase chicken food I never buy a lot at one time because I worry about mold so I purchase new food really often.

I hope he'll be ok. He's quite a character.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by