Roo's comb half black and falling over.....??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrazyAnimalGirl, Aug 29, 2010.

1. CrazyAnimalGirl

CrazyAnimalGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    I have a black silkie roo with a straight comb. I have noticed his comb slowly "falling" over to one side or even detaching at the rear section. Near the rear part, it's more black than mulberry and a little ashy. He's been acting fine, nothing has happened to him. No marks or anything else on him. I treated him for mites and lice a couple weeks ago and haven't seen any since.

I've searched around a little bit, but cannot find a good answer. It's definitely not frostbite since it can reach 100 degrees most days, he stays indoors when it's raining or very hot (even have a fan in the coop), get's healthy treats, etc.

I just put some vaseline on his comb and tried to massage it and he did not like that! Can anyone help?? [​IMG]

Ok, dont mind his greasy vaseline feathers and the white specs are the feather grower dandruff things (he's a slow featherer!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Humm ... Are you for sure it couldn't be frost bite? [​IMG]
    Because that's sure what it kinda looks like! [​IMG]

3. CrazyAnimalGirl

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    That's the only thing I am getting, but the air in my house is 77-78 and doesnt change, then outside it can reach 105 and hasn't gotten below 70 at night.

He may have been born near the first of the year, and that would be the only cold he's seen. But more likely he was born around March.

Maybe genetics? Since he is not even supposed to have a straight comb... [​IMG]

4. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Maybe you caught him in mid-blink but his eye looks swollen. Are they ok?

5. CrazyAnimalGirl

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    The flash on my camera is pretty painful, i'm pretty sure he's squinting. His eyes are big, black, and look healthy. Except for the red skin around them, which should be normal?

Do you think there's any connection between this and cedar shavings? (I was told to use cedar and figured out that was wrong, so i'm hoping I didn't hurt them!)

Here's a 'normal' eye:

[​IMG]

6. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    dark combs can be from disease or heart problems as well as frost bite. Look up external disease symptoms for poultry. Gloria Jean

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:It seems a bit extreme, but possible. The fumes from the cedar can cause upper respretory problems and it's possible that the black comb is not from the comb being injured, but from poor circulation. How long were you using cedar and when did you stop? Does he seem to be wheezing or have any other breathing problems?

8. CrazyAnimalGirl

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    I still use an incy weency bit to help with mites, but its very ventilated (outside). It's not like he sits in a nest box or noses around in the shavings. I think I figured it out last week or week before. This week is when it happened/got worse though!

Here are some photos from Aug 8th. I took these to help figure out if he was a roo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Falcon61

Falcon61 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    I wouldn't use petroleum jelly on me. Use grass hay and let him take dirt bathes, plenty of food, water, shade...? Don't handle him to much or chase him in the process. May have some Leghorn blood?

10. CrazyAnimalGirl

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    Oh, I did think he had gapeworm when I got him. At night, he'd open his mouth and 'click' his tongue, open mouthed breathing, stick and stretch his neck out a lot, actually sneezed on me a few times. He snored and got caught up breathing every once in a while. I treated him with ivomec and that was maybe 2 weeks ago. He still opens his mouth a lot and does the tongue thing, but not as much, and mostly when I try and get him to talk. (so I figured it was a roo thing) All other symptoms are better.

I think i'll go ahead and do another round of ivomec just to be safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by