roos comb

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cknmom, Apr 28, 2008.

1. cknmom

cknmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    Yesterday we noticed that our roo Cogburn's comb was black in the front. It was bright red on fri. Our weather for the last few days has been hot and sunny. We haven't had a freeze since Wed. Any ideas on why it turned black? Does frostbite show up right away?
    Monica

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I am pretty sure frostbite can take a few days to show up. Maybe someone who knows more will see this soon.

3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes, actually when the comb turns black, it is in the later stages of frostbite. You may not have noticed the earlier stages, as they aren't always real obvious in minor cases. Post a pic and I will tell you if it is frostbite. Good luck!

4. cknmom

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
  5. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    First, copy and paste the [​IMG]

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Some of my rooster's combs will look like that if they have been fighting through a fence or just plain fighting. It happens ALL the time if they fight through a cage or fence, I guess because the comb is the easiest thing for them to 'grab'. I always just excused it as scabs, and they would rub off easily if I messed with them.

It's hard to tell from the picture, I'm just going by the location of the 'black blurr'.

-Kim

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I bought twelve straight-run chicks and 8 of them turned out to be roos. They are all 6 weeks old now (I actually just gave 7 of the roos away Sat.) and the past two weeks I have noticed them fighting a lot. Then a lot of black scabs started showing up on their combs. It is to warm here in the South for frostbite, so I have to just go with the fighting I had been seeing them do as being the cause of the scabs. Scabs seem plausible if you have more than one roo or maybe he could have had a squabble with something else. [​IMG]

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*Miss Chook has a really deep scar on her comb from that possom injury-- The area aboue the scar sometimes turns dark when she doesn't drink enough water. . . Don't know if that helps here, though.

9. cknmom

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    When I went to put them away for the night, I noticed that now he has some on his wattle also, it is spots. On sunday he went visiting other hens down the road, he hasn't ever done that. When i shooed him home he squeezed through a wire fence. The spaces are about 4-6". Could that have done it? I couldn't understand why he would get frostbite now, it got down to about 24* earlier this week, but this winter and last winter it got down to single digits counting in windchill and he hasn't had a problem.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope the pic worked this time. I hope this is a better pic.

Monica
    IT WORKED

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  10. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

It's not frostbite, it looks like he's been fighting or ripped up on a fence or something. He'll be fine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by