roos comb

cknmom

Songster
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
Dickson TN
Yesterday we noticed that our roo Cogburn's comb was black in the front. It was bright red on fri. Our weather for the last few days has been hot and sunny. We haven't had a freeze since Wed. Any ideas on why it turned black? Does frostbite show up right away?
Monica

Yes, actually when the comb turns black, it is in the later stages of frostbite. You may not have noticed the earlier stages, as they aren't always real obvious in minor cases. Post a pic and I will tell you if it is frostbite. Good luck!

First, copy and paste the

Some of my rooster's combs will look like that if they have been fighting through a fence or just plain fighting. It happens ALL the time if they fight through a cage or fence, I guess because the comb is the easiest thing for them to 'grab'. I always just excused it as scabs, and they would rub off easily if I messed with them.

It's hard to tell from the picture, I'm just going by the location of the 'black blurr'.

-Kim

I bought twelve straight-run chicks and 8 of them turned out to be roos. They are all 6 weeks old now (I actually just gave 7 of the roos away Sat.) and the past two weeks I have noticed them fighting a lot. Then a lot of black scabs started showing up on their combs. It is to warm here in the South for frostbite, so I have to just go with the fighting I had been seeing them do as being the cause of the scabs. Scabs seem plausible if you have more than one roo or maybe he could have had a squabble with something else.
smile.png

*Miss Chook has a really deep scar on her comb from that possom injury-- The area aboue the scar sometimes turns dark when she doesn't drink enough water. . . Don't know if that helps here, though.

When I went to put them away for the night, I noticed that now he has some on his wattle also, it is spots. On sunday he went visiting other hens down the road, he hasn't ever done that. When i shooed him home he squeezed through a wire fence. The spaces are about 4-6". Could that have done it? I couldn't understand why he would get frostbite now, it got down to about 24* earlier this week, but this winter and last winter it got down to single digits counting in windchill and he hasn't had a problem.
100_1584-1.jpg

100_1585-1.jpg

I hope the pic worked this time. I hope this is a better pic.

Monica
IT WORKED

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom