1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roos crowing all day and night?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrazyFowlFreak, Nov 5, 2009.

1. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Are mine just crazy or does everyone's roos crow all.the.darn.time. ? It literally is anytime during the day or night. [​IMG]

2. waterpossum

waterpossum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2009
    Waukomis
    its your roo! every rooster is his own man and some crow day and night and some just crow now and again.

3. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    Argh! [​IMG] I have a RIR, a Silkie, a BO, 2 Black Australorps, 1 Serama, and 1 OEGB who crow all the time! [​IMG]: Oh well, I love the little monsters anyway.
    Now, I do also have Zombie Ducks, but that's another story and another section of the board. [​IMG]

4. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Mine crow at all hours day and night!

5. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Well I am lucky, I guess. My most vocal roo is a pullet that apparently wasn't (americana) and is on deathrow. My 2 RIRs are not so very loud and I don't really hear much from them. I never hear crowing at night, but I have a very dark coop in the evening hours, with the roost being even more dark. If its too noisy, I would just kill whatever extra roos that weren't needed.......make it quiet, fill the freezer, save on feed.......well I'm a hopeless penny pincher.

6. aimeeinwv

aimeeinwv Chillin' With My Peeps

We have one that is ready to get barred from the county for his big mouth.. then one that only crows now and then. Thinking loud mouth needs to go to another farm somewhere![​IMG]

7. emrys

emrys Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    I guess I'm lucky. My young rooster starts crowing when he thinks it's time to leave the coop. I can just hear him when I head out to the barn. He has a quick snack then crows off and on for another 10 or 15 minutes. After that he's done for the day. What a good boy.

8. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Roosters will crow anytime they darn well please, for sure. [​IMG] I have a few that start well before the sun comes up (like...4 a.m.). But, in my experience, if they are crowing literally in the middle of the night, there is something wrong. Anytime I've noticed one of my guys crowing at an unusual time of night, I've gone to the coops to find a predator or varmint prowling. Just a thought...

9. startingaflock

startingaflock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2009
    My roo crows when he comes out of the coop in the morning and then all day long but never at night. He seems to crow whenever someone passes the pen! Kinda like a dog barking when someone enters the yard!

10. RonB

RonB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Woodinville
    MY BR roo crows on and off all day. The earliest we have heard him is 3:40am the coop is inside the barn so the sound is muffled. He doesn't crow after dark

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by