Roos fav hen with bare back.

Chelseyb123

Songster
Oct 4, 2017
Maine
I have a 9month old leg horn. And i have t four roos mixed into my flock. Now i feel bad for my little stella because i live in maine an its finally winter now with snow and shes the smalls out of the rest of my hens. An shes always seemed to be the favorite out of them all and now she has a bared back no blood or scabs just dry an feathers growing very slowly. Now can i put like a wrap or something on her?

I would remove several of the roosters. How many hens do you have? You could place her in a dog crate with food and water inside the coop to separate her for a bit. But first I would Google images of chicken saddles or aprons. I have made them out of a 7x9 inch piece of polarfleece with no sewing. Cut 2 slits for wings, and after putting it on, trim any excess. With a saddle, she might not need seperation. Most flocks do best with only one rooster, or having at least 10 hens to one rooster. With 4 roosters, you will probably have more problems with hens getting hurt or roosters fighting.

I will try something like that with thw sweater. But no i really dont have any problems my big hens go after the young roos. They really do get along fine its just mating. They know that father is in charge and to mind to themselves. I did get rid of one of my roos an harvested another one. I have 8 hens in total an 4roos. I have tried to get rid of them but no takers. But i think if i can get something on her back she should be fine an give her feathers a chance to grow. Thank you both .

With that many roosters, realistically she will NOT be fine. Their breeding aggression will only increase to the point where she is not allowed to eat. Gang breeding is stressful and dangerous.

I had almost the EXACT same problem! Our leghorn also had a bare back and I was terrified she would freeze to death. We had to separate all the roosters. We culled 2 and the other 2 we are saving them since we want to hatch chicks. Our leghorn is also starting to grow feathers now! I would separate all the roosters, cull some, or cull all of them.

What's the temperature over there? Our leghorn is fine right now, it snowed 2 days ago and she was out. Pretty sure your chicken will be fine. Plus, when she starts to grow the feathers out and she has the sweater, it's going to be painful for her.

Yes i plain to hatch more chicks next year and i have been debating on killing the others except the father. I got him first and he has a free pass to live lol but two out of the three young roos are quite annoying at first i didnt mind them but they lead my hens in the woods or in my neighbors yard an crow way more than theyre dad an other brother do. Its been pretty cold her for the past week. last night it was 6 degress they all seem to be doing fine an actually spending the days outside and all roosting good at night. I will say when i am around my hens and the young ones who try an mate i get them right off. They really arent aggressive i think its more that they are much bigger than she is. Luckily shes had no problems with her vent or laying eggs. Its just her feathers. I will take the sweater if you can sens it. I think if its not to tight on her back it should be fine. Im home all the time so monitoring her is easy.

Back
Top Bottom