Roos favorite hen starting to walk bow legged...should I "save" her

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shawnm2639, Nov 9, 2010.

1. shawnm2639

shawnm2639 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodlake Ca
    Ok while I was writing the subject line I realized how many of our ol dirty jokes come from the live stock on the farm [​IMG] [​IMG] ...sorry gang. But really...he had 5 hens and lives in a commune. (all my chickens free range and live in the trees of my little jungle and yes I intend to round them all up before winter.) Anyway back to my little "founding feathers" hen.

She and the other 4 and the roo are the original group. I have been concerned for quite some time about the hens. I have around 40 birds in different ages (including the 4 roos who are going to freezer camp soon) and they are the only girls that have a need for a saddle. The one hen that stays with him aaalll the time is the one who is walking funny. At first I just thought she was squatting and sometimes I still do. Any one out there know anything about this???? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    She must be the "favorite". There is always one who is intensively object of the attentions of the rooster. I had one who was limp of one leg, because of this. I had to separate her for some time, until she recovered.
    There she is, short, old, but irresistible.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I believe walking like a penguin is a sign of internal laying. I'd post this in the emergencies section.

4. shawnm2639

shawnm2639 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodlake Ca
    Oh Lord, I didn't think she was in egg laying distress. I have caught her and put her in the coop with the other two founding feathers that have the back feathers needing a little time to grow back. I will watch her and see of course the other two gals have stopped laying but I figured that was weather/location/situation change. I will monitor...ty ty ty

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by