1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roos fighting at 4 weeks?!?!?!(long)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by klf73, Jun 30, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have a bunch(9) of chicks ranging from 4wks 2days - 3wks 3days. They are from 4 hens and 1 roo. Out of these I "think" 4 are roos. The oldest is nice and doesn't fight unless one of the roos starts with him, and if I separate the offending roo he(oldest) cuddles down with the other chickens, hens and roos. I tried taking him out first but the one I separated him from started a fight with another roo. Then there is the up and coming one who is almost 4 weeks and now he seems not sure what to do. He is starting to follow suit of the bully and pick fights. The "bully" was my favorite and was always the prettiest, and when he hatched I told my daughter "watch, that will be a roo cuz I like the look of that one best". His wattles are bright red already (so is the oldest's). Then there is the youngest, I think he is spunky. I put him in the brooder apprehensively since the next one close to him was 3 days older, but as soon as he went in he picked on everyone to show he wasn't afraid, and he never had a problem. He isn't in on the fighting yet, but he is not as mature as the others, and he is the hardest to catch. The kids wanted to keep them all but since they are fighting already at such a young age, the bully has caused blood blister like marks on two roos before I could grab him, I don't think that it is possible to keep them all. How do you choose a good roo? I am leaning towards the oldest because he is peaceful but will fight if needed. Suggestions?
    Krista

2. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    what kind of birds do you have? All young chicken's will play fight. I think that is just part of life for them but if you have one causing injurys you have to seperate that one. As adult's it's unusual for roo's to get along. They fight for the hen's. Good luck. PEACE

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    They are mutt eggs. We think the hens were black australorp but the roo we didn't see, he was killed by a dog a few days earlier. The eggs were given to us and obviously they were at different stages in development. The roo was a gray color we are told, so no idea what he was.
    Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by