Roos?? Hens?? - These EE's have me perplexed!!! NEW PICS ADDED!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jendodd79, Nov 24, 2012.

1. jendodd79

jendodd79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    I've sorted out all of my Marans, Sussex, and most of my Orps and BLRW, but these darn EE's! We have I have 8 definite roos to unload this week, and holy cow. Hopefully not too many more... Out of our hatch of 28, we were really hoping for at least 12 hens!! So far I have 8 definite hens

9 weeks old. Having trouble! I've followed along with the big EE thread and was watching for splotchy red, but most of mine have over all red. Their combs are split between a single and a pea comb and all varying degrees of red...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1This one has the smallest comb of all of our EEs
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 One of our BLRWs
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    #3 - A smaller single comb
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#4 - This one has splotchy red, but has a smaller single comb with almost no colour

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    #5 - Twin to #4 but has a larger pea comb
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    #6 -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    #7 -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#8 - the one lavender orp I'm confused on. The 2 hens have no combs and wattles, the rooster has a HUGE comb and wattle. But this one? Much more pale and smaller than the roo...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    #9 - Pretty darn sure this one is a roo - if you compare the wattle to #2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    #10 Another Red feather'd bird that has a small, pale comb

[​IMG]
    #11 - Pretty definite this one's a hen
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    #12 - Another confusing EE

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    these i would watch for being cockerels

3. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    Ack! 7 more roos! Lol :) Thanks -

#4 really has me perplexed because it's comb is so small - but it's so much like #5...

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I see 4, 5, 10 and 12 as roos. 7 is very iffy, I know the darker wings are present but the even color over the rest of the body could be a pullet, really hard to tell.

I really only looked at the easter eggers, not the other breeds.

5. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    Thanks for checking it out!

With #3 - does it look like it has pointed saddle feathers starting - or are they not pointy

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    7 is iffy with me as well but going off of comb color....the rest i am also going off of the over all coloring. at 9 weeks they wouldn't have saddle feathers coming in yet, these don't start to come in until 13-15 weeks of age and this is also the time the hackles will start to change as well

7. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    # 7 is a roo, you can tell by the tail.

8. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    In fact, I'd say all the EEs except maybe #1 are roos, the Orp looks very girlie to me but don't like the curly feathers by the tail. I'd say your right on the BLRW, 1 roo 1 pullet.

9. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    [​IMG] - OMG. We're now looking at 20 roos and 8 pullets from this hatch.

10. Basel

Basel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    OK, so I was thinking, poor you, and that I understand your pain on a much smaller scale. I had 5 roos out of a 7 chick hatch. [​IMG]

For fun, I did the math....percent pullets in each of our hatches wondering who had the worse luck. I thought we'd be close.

What chance in the world would it be for the percent to come up EXACTLY the same?!! We're both at about a 29% pullet ratio --- 0.28571428571 and some change to be closer to exact.
    I thought this a little wild and weird mathematical present. How fun. And depressing, LOL. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by