Roos herding Guinea and ignoring hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RollingForkMeadows, Oct 25, 2010.

1. RollingForkMeadows

RollingForkMeadows Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    Minnesota
    My (2) roos and all girls are 3 1/2 months. The roos seem to pay attention only to the 5 Guinea, running with and around them as if herding. The Guinea in turn follow them everywhere and make a racket if separated. They pester the pullets if they come too close.

Meanwhile the roos utterly ignore the 9 pullets. The pullets seem to be scattered. One sweet Partridge Rock appears to be a loner. I'm afraid of them all being so vulnerable.

At some point will the darling boys realize that there are beautiful buxom hens to pay attention to..?

2. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    I'm sorry, you totally have me giggling this afternoon! What a mental image! I have NO idea, never heard of that as being an issue, but I'm sure a much more knowledgeable BYC member will chime in.

In the meantime, you should check out this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=263053 regarding the beloved chicken/guinea cross, Miracle. Though s/he has since passed, Miracle was a BYC legend and it sounds like unless your roosters start taking interest in your hens, you might be starting your own "Miracle" thread.

Good luck!

3. RollingForkMeadows

RollingForkMeadows Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    Minnesota
    Oh wow, I had no idea it was possible, thank you for the link!
    I've seen the dominant roo mount pretty much all the guineas - oh, why do I always get the weird ones?! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by