1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roos in Illinois needing new home

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by M&J IL, Apr 7, 2007.

1. M&J IL

M&J IL Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2007
    Rockford Illinois
    Although we hate to have to re home our roos, our little slice of the country is quickly turning into a suburban area.

We have 6 roos that are like our pets and we really want to re home rather than sell at an auction where who knows what will happen to them.

We have

Black Star - 1 year old
    Delaware - 1 year old
    Buff orpington - 1 year old
    2 Barred Rock - 10 months old
    Wyondotte - 1 year old

We also may have two more roos in our set of 6 chicks this year. Don't know for sure yet.

2. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Where in Illinois are you? I am in Wisconsin, but right on the Wis/Ill border so I may not be too far from you. If you could send me some photos of the roos, I might be able to take a few. I am interested (without seeing the photos) in a Delaware roo and a Wyondotte roo.

3. M&J IL

Apr 3, 2007
    Rockford Illinois
    We are in northern Illinois around the Rockford area about 25 minutes to wisconsin. I will try to take some digital pictures, all I have is regular photos now.

4. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    I go into Rockford every weekend! [​IMG] Are the 'boys' friendly/tame/handlable? How are they with younger chickens? I am still raising my 27 in the coop, and they are 5 weeks old now. Would I have to keep the roos seperate? I suppose I could section off an area of the coop for them. What else can you tell me about them?

5. M&J IL

Apr 3, 2007
    Rockford Illinois
    They are nice with people, have been around dogs and cats a lot and a guinea cock. We keep them separate from the girls most of the time but all is well when the girls free range. During the day the Delaware is the outsider for now the other roos don’t seem to like him, but a night they all sleep on the same perch or inside there box together. With the six roos there are changes in the order from time to time. They travel around the property like a little gang, checking out everything. We are able to handle them and do so regularly. I do not know how they are around young chickens but are good around our full grown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by