roos in love?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fallenweeble, Jan 10, 2008.

1. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    sooooo . . .
    ya'll are going to think i'm crazy but here's the situation.
    i pulled a couple of roos out of the west valley (san fernnando) shelter yesterday. one is HUGE and the other is rather diminutive in comparison. they are obviously different breeds. here's a pic of them:
    [​IMG]
    they were being housed together at the shelter and were actually huddled together in their enclosure when i first saw them - i figured it was for warmth alone . . .
    well, i brought them home and put them into a large dog crate indoors where they are doing just fine. my plan is to care for them while i search for suitable homes.
    here's the thing . . .
    whenever i go check on them they are doing things together. they seem "bonded." last night the smaller one was actually snuggled under "big daddy's" ample chest - it looked like the big guy was settin' on him, like a mamma with a baby chick!
    is this typical? (i'm thinking not). should i try to find them a home together? i'm wondering if, once they are rehomed and put into a flock with hens, if they won't start fighting. does anyone have any experience/advice. they are so sweet together i'm feeling guilty about trying to separate them!
    [​IMG]
    thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    typically, roosters get a long fine until you throw in a few hens, then all bets are off, they will turn on each other.......this is not always serious tho, often it's just a little bickering to establish pecking order.
    I'm so sensitive to things like this, I'd say leave them together..........but the chicken world says different.................once they get with the girls somewhere, they won't miss the other at all....................if you really want to keep them together, find a home with at least 15 girls since the hen/rooster ratio is 10/12:1

I commend you on rehoming those birds.
    It's great that someone will take abused and neglected birds and turn life around for them.

WELL DONE Fallenweeble. [​IMG]

Looking at the little guys feet, it appears that the scales are raised, or at least really really rough.
    It could be mites............try putting some vaseline or olive oil (that worked really well for me) on the feet and see if it makes a difference in appearance.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  3. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Here's what I think... Keep them together. I feel like friendships are important.. even for chickens.

Here's why I feel that way: I have 2 d'Anvers (pullet and cockeral). I bought them together. They absolutely adored each other. When introduced into general population, though, the Big Girls picked on the pullet and made her SOOOOO unhappy. After 3mos of abuse, and an attempted suicide by said pullet, I brought her inside. I'm attempting to get her to bond with my 10wkers, so they can have their own "flock". That's going super slowly. They tolerate each other, that's it.
    Brought the d'Anvers cockeral in one night because temps were -10, and he was shivering and seemed very cold (everyone else is big and beefy, and were fine). Anyway, obviously the two remembered each other even 1mo later, and they ended up sleeping perched together. It was sweet.. and I feel like a total jerk for separating them.

So.. I know what 'they' say.. but I'd adopt them out together. If they have a slave-master relationship, hopefully that'll just carry over into their new flock. If not, other decisions can be made at that point (maybe you could offer to take one back and find him a different home?).

Meghan

4. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i vote for leaving them together. you can always change your mind later.

5. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    well, it's unanimous then. i'm gunna find them a home together.
    thanks ya'll for the advice.
    [​IMG]

6. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    When mine were still chicks, the standard was 'momma' and let the banty chicks sleep under it. I thought it was a hen, but it turned out to be a roo. They're all good buddies.

Those two are very pretty, I love the colors! And look at the spurs on the barred one. Someone else on the board has a roo that they're trying to identify. It looks like the one on the right, but its standard and has a little bit of feather on its legs. Any idea what yours is?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by