roos in the batch

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NHN, Sep 20, 2009.

1. NHN

NHN Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    I just ordered 5 pullets from ideal and i read they add some roos for warmth? What do you guys do with the roos? I can't possible keep 5 or 6 roos around.

I can keep them till they are a few months old if need be

2. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    I kept mine and will be putting them in the freezer. Why is it easier to kill a adult bird than a fuzzy chick? The way I look at it is if I feed it and butcher it I will have gotten something out of it. The chick was free. (Part of me wished I had disposed of the five I got when my order came). For future reference they do ship without peanuts but you have to call them and request no packing peanuts and that is not a guarantee as I found out. My five RR peanuts are most likely roos and they are doing great with my SLW, GLW, BR, EE, all 15 chicks are super friendly and follow me every where when they are outside with me. I feel like the pied piper.

Hey post on here you are looking for a home for the packing peanuts maybe someone close by will take them.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  3. NHN

NHN Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Thanks. Since I am a vegetarian I would not be able to use them for meat, but I don't mind giving them to someone who can as long as they are processed humanely.

I shall have to think about this

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by