1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roos? info needed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Emchick, May 28, 2007.

1. Emchick

Emchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    we think we have 6 roos out of 13, so we need info. I think 1 is trying learn how to crow(he is called lump he is very floppy and determined to make it ) his "crow" sounds like a rusty hinge. any info on roos is accepted

Emchick;)

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  2. pueawjapygrta

pueawjapygrta Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2007
    what type of info are you looking for?

they sound pathetic as they are learning to crow, kind of like a party horn. then they'll get better at it.

3. Emchick

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    any roo info will work. one more question is: has any one had a sucsessful flock with about half roos?[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  4. iopele

iopele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas
    It's hard to know how to answer without knowing what you're wondering about. Maybe you should use google to find some general information on roosters? Either that, or try posting what you'd like to know about. [​IMG]

5. Emchick

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    i'd like to know interesting facts, specail behaveor, or specail care.

6. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    If they are raised together they aren't as likely to fight or cause problems. I had 8 roos last year and about 25 hens and have cutback to 3 roos and 13 hens. Of course I have more in the mail. [​IMG]

The only problem I would see is that your girls are going to take heck and you might want to cut back on roos for their sake or build a separate area for the roos.

7. chickensinMT

chickensinMT Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2007
    Churchill MT
    I currently have 4 adult roos. I have 3 pens and they each get a pen except 1, he has to share with another. they do fine for me if they are seperate or if they grow up togather.

8. Emchick

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    thanx Angie n Maine we think we are going to sell a couple at a 4-H show in august

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by