Roo's leg is green at joint and eyes are crusted shut

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by daisyneuroth, Nov 11, 2016.

1. daisyneuroth

daisyneuroth New Egg

Feb 16, 2015
    I have a Roo who is almost 4 months old, he won't put weight on one of his legs so We separated him so he wouldn't get picked on and could heal. Today I checked on him and his leg is greenish at the joint and his eyes are crusted shut. I've heard the skin turns green when they bruise but with his eyes I'm wondering if he has an infection. His head and eyes are not swollen but his joint is a little. Is there anything I can give him or any ideas what it might be? I'm afraid he could infect the flock.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  2. daisyneuroth

daisyneuroth New Egg

Feb 16, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have a local vet who could see him? Can you post a picture of his whole body, since his comb looks a little hennish? A respiratory disease called mycoplasma can cause eye drainage, respiratory symptoms, and swollen joints. Bruising does cause green skin, so it could be from an injury. Is there any sneezing, wheezing, nasal discharge, or gasping? Mycoplasma (MG or MS) can be treated with Tylan 50 or oxytetracycline, and they are contagious carrier diseases.

4. ravismomma

ravismomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2016

I would isolate immediately. He very likely will infect everyone. What eggcessive says is accurate, mycroplasma has similar symptoms and is very highly contagious. Good luck!

5. daisyneuroth

daisyneuroth New Egg

Feb 16, 2015
    I can get a full body picture tomorrow. I haven't noticed any of the symptoms you listed. He actually seems pretty fine besides the leg and eyes. I did notice today that his poo is pretty runny. We separated him but within the coop, I will now move him out until I can get him seen by a vet. We just moved to this state so I only know of a vet for my dogs and horses :) I'll ask them for referrals for the chickens. Do I need a prescription for the Mesa you listed or can I get them at my feed store?

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Until the end of this year, most feed stores will carry oral antibiotics such as oxytetracycline and Tylan for treating the water. Tylan 50 injectable can be given directly by mouth to the rooster, 1 ml twice a day for 3-5 days. Here is a good list of common diseases with symptoms including mycoplasma (MG and MS:) http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

7. daisyneuroth

daisyneuroth New Egg

Feb 16, 2015
    [​IMG]
    So glad to know you can give the Tylan 50 injectiable by mouth, that's the only one the feed store still had in stock. Can I give it to hens as well? (Just in case)
    Also here is that full body shot. He's only 3 1/2 months but we were guessing he was a Roo.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  8. daisyneuroth

daisyneuroth New Egg

Feb 16, 2015
    Do you think my he could be a she? :)

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He looks more like a cockerel in the last 2 pics. His hackle feathers are still hard to see, but I would guess cockerel. I would only give antibiotics to sick birds, not ones who are not showing symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by