Roos MIA ???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ellieroo, Apr 7, 2011.

1. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Am assuming who but need affirmation Lost two big BCM roos mid morning no noise, no feathers, left nothing, just Gone. the hens are fine but lost without heir roos. These guys went MIA about 3mos apart and yes free range locked up at night but this was after morning feed and before noon ? [​IMG] we have free ranged for 12yrs and nothing now 2 in a matter of months. [​IMG]

2. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I just posted (down farther) about the same thing, 2 large EE hens just vanished about 3 months appart during the day and no feathers anywhere. My acreage is totally fenced in and 2 miniature horses share the chickens pasture....dunno, I'm thinking hawks??? but your big BCM roos and my very large EE's?????. Sorry for your loss.

3. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Mine are with horses also ! But they were big boys would have to be large bird of prey. my husband walked the surrounding area and nothing .Our dobe wasn't even alerted and she misses Very little. Me too am sorry for both of us! [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hawks generally kill and eat at the point of kill. They can actually fly off with far less than people credit them with. Birds that size are more likely killed by coyote, fox or bobccat. The only thing wrong with that scenario is that once those preds find a food source they generally keep coming back until it is depleted?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by