Roo's missing feathers,,,I caught her doing it.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrkep, Dec 5, 2010.

1. mrkep

mrkep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Richwood , Ohio
    I posted yesterday about my roo missing some feathers in the saddle area. Opinions were that there was a feather picker in the flock. Today I saw at least one hen following him and picking feathers from the affected area.
    So do you all suppose this because of a protein defficiency or boredom or what?
    I am going to bluekoat him tomorrow, and I am thinking about providing hi-protein gamebird feed plus some scrambled eggs.
    Does anyone have any other suggestions or opinions?
    Thanks, mrkep

2. i<3chickens

i<3chickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Ontario---Canada
    Do they freerange or have A run----if not it could be they are crowded or it could be boredom----I'm not quite sure though [​IMG]

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    i<3chickens :

Do they freerange or have A run----if not it could be they are crowded or it could be boredom----I'm not quite sure though [​IMG]

It could be either one, we really need more info. to try to figure out which issue (or both?) that is most likely the problem.

1. How many birds (LF or Bantam?) do you have?

2. How much room in the coop and run?

3. How old are they?

4. What are you feeding them?

5. Are they spending lots of time in the coop right now due to bad weather?

More data, must have more data..[​IMG]

4. mrkep

mrkep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Richwood , Ohio
    OK more data:
    15 Buckeyes, 6 mos old, 2 roos, 13 hens.
    Coop is 8 X 8 water & food inside.
    Run is 24 X24, roosting perches in the run. It is partially sheilded from wind & snow.
    The last time I tried hanging treats to keep them occupied, they all hid in terror, if the treats(corn, cabbage, broccli) were inside, they wouldn't go in. If treats were outside, they all stood at the door and wouldn't go out.
    Their food is Dumor layer, oyster shell available, extra grit available, lots of leftover veggies & other stuff from the restaurant where DW works.
    They have been spending time outside, scratching & doing other chicken things but they stay in more now that there is snow & cold.
    The girls have been giving 9-11 eggs every day, 6 or7 by 10:00, then 4-5 more by 3:00.
    Everyone is fat & happy, the picked roo doesn't seem to be distressed by the picking, there is no blood yet.
    The other roo is much smaller, he hid among the girls when I culled the rest of the trouble makers. He appears to be scared of the other (picked) roo who is twice his size. Little roo spends most of the time in the coop, when he does go out to scratch, big roo chases him back after 5-10 mins. I haven't seen little roo trying to mate with any of the girls.
    I will try adding game food, a flock block, and some scrambled eggs and meat scraps today.
    Thanks again for your help, mrkep

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by