Roo's not crowing, and has black comb

jjmcmurray

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 26, 2013
Caroline Co, Va
Hey everyone. I have a full grown Roo "Duke" he's a black Jersey giant. We got him in April from a friend who was moving and he is at least 2yo, but we don't know exactly. About a month and a half ago he stopped crowing. He used to crow like clock work 3x a day. Also he is lethargic and his comb had flipped over and sometimes has a black it purple spot. His trail feathers droop and he just lays around. At first I thought it was the heat and gave him electrolytes he seemed to do better. Even crowd twice but despite the added electrolytes he's back to where he was , and now he limps and sometimes walks sideways and won't stand straight up. He's even bitten me a few times which he's never done before. Normally he is very gentle eats out of my hand and dances and sings with me when I sing to him.

I went to the local feed store to see if there is a vet that's local who would see him. I described what what was going on and before I could finish, the lady asked if he limping yet. She said she's lost 3 roosters to the same thing and that she thinks its a genetic disorder. I've done a lot of research and I think he might have circualtion or heart trouble. Has anyone heard of or experienced this? He's my favorite out of 17 chickens and I would hate to lose him prematurely. Also, the other chickens in with him are perfectly fine and spunky as usual

I have a chicken health handbook, I found tuberculosis, it common 2 yrs and older. Dull ruffled feathers,gradual weight loss despite good appetite,shrunken breast muscles.persistent diarrhea, pale sometimes bluish combs and wattles sometimes lameness.mortality 100% no effective treatment. cause- mycobacterium avium bacteria that survive in litter for 6 months or more and up to 4 yrs in soil. Ergotism is another to look up. Also gossypol seed poisoning.

If he does have tuberculosis can it be transmitted to humans? I have a 2yo daughter, so now I'm extra worried. Just googled the other two and I think I can rule those out

He does have patches that are starting to turn yellow between his beak and ears. He also decided not to roost when he went to bed, he's just laying in the corner of the coop

M. avium is not the same bacterium as that normally causes human TB - source The chicken health handbook by Gail Damerow. This is a really good book, it covers everything and is in ''our language'' not vet garble.

His symptoms sound like a lot of diseases. Unfortunately, it is hard to know which one. There are so many chicken viruses out there, plus bacterial infections. Are any other chickens showing symptoms? Since he came from a friend, he could have coccidiosis since he may not be immune to what you have on your property. He may have had one of the mycoplasmas (synoviae) that has come back on him. He may just have a bad heart. If you want to help him you could treat him with some Corid for 5 days for cocci, or start him on some Tylan 50 or Duramycin-10 for mycoplasma for 7 days. Just do one of those at a time and see if it makes a difference. Make sure he doesn't have lice or mites (some mites only get on them at night.)

I'll have to pick up a copy, it sounds like a great book.
I spent about an hour and a half out there this am. Swept up the coop and layed down more bedding. He has diahrea, but it's not green or yellow, nothing floating in it. Just clear or light brown. I checked them all for mites and parasites, all clear. However his vent was wet, not sure if that's because he slept in his poo (he had some on his side too) or because he just had diahrea. One of my hens has a pea comb and it's starting toturn black and looks like it has warts. I hope we don't lose the whole flock. He did seem a little more himself this am, but he can't jump and he keeps going back and forth. Better for a few days then sick again

As tempting as it always is, I never bring home chickens from other people, sales etc. I like to get chicks from a certified disease free hatchery. If I visit another farm or sale barn I clean up first before tending to my chickens. Shoes included!! The little things that we can not see are the things that kill our birds. Sounds extreme but so far so good here. I never want to have sick girls!! I knew a old farmer when I was a kid, who brought home every cheap chicken from the sale barn that no one else would buy. He would get home an open the crate and they were on their own. I have seen just about EVERY ugly disease a chicken could have. It was terrible to see, but I learned from him. I absolutely will not raise my birds in his careless manner. If we keep our flocks in a clean(air and ground) predator proof coop/run with good biosecurity and feed a properly balanced diet, we should have very healthy and happy chickens!! Good luck with your sick guy
sad.png
It might be a good idea to get him separated from the rest of the flock so they don't get sick as well.

Back
Top Bottom