Roos odd behavior?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by LadyDixieChick, May 19, 2011.

1. LadyDixieChick

LadyDixieChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Rock Hill, SC
    We are new to this raising chickens. What started out as buying a few ( 6 ) baby chicks at our local Tractor Supply store for our kids to play and enjoy, has now turned into about 55 chickens and 20 eggs in a new incubator....We have built several coops for our chickens ( they free range in the daytime) We built some nesting boxes for our hens. We realized they liked to sometimes perch on the top of them. So today we enclosed the top of them ( this now keeps the nest clean ) Our Barred Rock Roo didnt seem to like it. He clucked loudly and even climbed into one of the nest and sat and squawked loudly for quite a while!!!! Was this typical behavior for a Roo to "christen" something new to his territory or is he just being overly dramatic about it??

2. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd say normal behavior, atleast for my roo's. They don't seem to like any changes at all to take place in their hen house.

3. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    by doing that, he's actually telling the hen to lay there... you should be so proud of him! my roos tell the hens to lay on the floor [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Chickens dislike change of any sort.

5. LadyDixieChick

LadyDixieChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Rock Hill, SC
    Thanks so much! The way he carried on was sooooo funny! He is the boss here, thats for sure! My Leghorn Roo in the other coop didnt seem to mind the changes. He liked walking back n forth across the top anyway. Had a better view of his ladies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by