Roos or Hens? Help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jackiekim, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Jackiekim

Jackiekim Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    I posted about the gender of my chicks a few weeks ago. That time, the general conclusion is that I have three roos and two hens. Anyhow, they are now a few days short of 12 weeks and I'm pretty sure that is still true. The three suspected roos tend to bicker. We have even heard one crow. The two with very little comb development stay out of it and I'm pretty sure they are hens. So, I just found a place for the suspected roos to go to - some guy who lives on 1 acre and has 30 hens in need of roosters. Sounds like a good place to be. But before I give them away, I just want to have a final check. I suppose I can wait till they are older, but by then the guy may not need any more roosters and then the roos become food at six months. So, long and short of it, any help is appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can anyone hazard a guess? I love this Black Australorp. It is very stately, I think.

2. Jackiekim

Nov 1, 2011
  3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

The last two are definitely roos! The first, is almost certainly a roo as well.

edited for clarity..

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Yes, roos. My BAs did not have that much wattle development until they were 22 weeks and about to pop out an egg.

5. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Sorry, you have all roos.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    if those 3 are the 3 pic. here then yes those three are cockerels (pullet to the far left)

[​IMG]

7. ontimeborzoi

ontimeborzoi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Northern Neck of Va
    I want to know what your fencing is made of, or where you got it. Very attractive!

8. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Guinea and Chicken raiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana
    roos. but we should wait longer....

Cute, howden.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  9. Jackiekim

Nov 1, 2011
    Thanks All. The roos are all rehoused at a farm. It was tough, letting them go. I didn't realize just how attached I would be to these guys.

As to the fence, I got it from Omlet. http://www.omlet.us/

10. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Guinea and Chicken raiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana
    you welcome. maybe if you wait longer some of them may not crow, but if they all do, i'm sorry too that you have all roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by