Roos or hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Coop de Grass, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Coop de Grass

Coop de Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]Hi all,

I've been having fun with my chicks this winter/spring. I have 2 roosters, 1 Bielefelder and 1 Crested Cream Legbar, and lots of chicks. Some of them I know are hens, but there are some that I just am not sure about,,,

Your opinions would be helpful!

Dec 20 hatch date, True Blue Whiting, same bird, 2 photos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

January 20 hatch date: Mixes: Roo is either Bielefelder or Crested Cream Legbar, Hens are Buff Orp, Rhode Island Red, FBCM, Black Australorp, Silver Lace Wyandotte, Easter Egger, Bielefelder, and Crested Cream Legbar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any opinions would help. I think that the last photo is a hen. At least, I'm really hoping that it is because I named her Peaches!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Anything with a red comb at 2 months of age is a rooster usually, also at 3 months too. So I think they are all roosters.

3. Coop de Grass

Coop de Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

About 20 minutes after I posted, my husband informed me that two chickens were fighting... I looked out to see the True Blue Whiting doing the rooster dance around a young Bielefelder pullet! I guess I have the answer to photos 1 and 2!

I am curious if anyone thinks that the last photo is a roo??? I think that all the others are roos, but I'm not sure about the redhead!

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    If the last one hatched out 7 weeks ago it is also a cockerel. Too much comb color for that age to be a pullet.

5. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    All male.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by