Roos or Hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NewChicksOnTheBlock, Jun 23, 2010.

1. NewChicksOnTheBlock

NewChicksOnTheBlock New Egg

Jun 23, 2010
    Hi, I’m a new chicken owner from Southeast Minnesota. I really need help figuring out if I have baby roos or baby hens. We think we might have at least one roo and we are curious if anyone more knowledgeable can help us out. We aren’t sure how old they are, but we’ve had them for a month. They are about 4-6 weeks old.

Hedwig, Barred Rock
    [​IMG]

Camilla, Easter Egger
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Coral, Buff Orpington
    [​IMG]

Stella, Barred Rock
    [​IMG]

Olive, Easter Egger
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Clementine, Buff Orpington
    [​IMG]

2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Olive reminds me of a SLW.. Cool colors!! Wish I could be more help [​IMG] the Barred Rock combs are big, but don't see any redness. I can't remember how big my girl's comb was around that age lol

3. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    I would guess Olive may be a male others all look female to me

4. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    BRs are girls it doesn't matter on the comb just the color the males are more like white with little black strips and females are black with white strips unless they are mixed. I can't really tell whether I see red or if it is the lighting on the Orps but they look pretty female to me. The EEs I have never been able to tell until they get to be about 4 months I have 9 and have no clue on 7 of them.

5. cterbizan

cterbizan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    sorry double post

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by