Roos or hens

bobanddave

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 12, 2012
Can anybody please tell me if i have roos or hens, i suspect i have a couple of roos but im just startng out and cant tell them apart, they are about 10 weeks.

1 and 2 are pullets I think and 4 is a cockerel I think!!
Good luck!
And
welcome-byc.gif

Pretty light brahmas! I have them too :) My guesses are:
Not sure on first
Pullet in the second picture
Looks like the three light brahmas on the left in the third are roos and the two on the right are girls
Roo for the fourth

The first bird is a rooster.

Brahmas are slower to mature so I'm kind of suprised to see red combs at this age. I agree the two single pics are probably roos, and the group shot is half roos half pullets.

Thankyou for your help, they are still young so i will wait to double check. Is there a chance they can live happy together or too many roos for the amount of pullets for Harmony in the pen
smile.png

Usually young roosters can live in harmony with hens until their hormones kick in. Depends on breed but around 6 months. I see approx. half Roos but still early days... :)

Math is one roo per approx. 10 hens but that is not always the case. I keep just one in a flock to keep the peace.

Thankyou for your help, they are still young so i will wait to double check. Is there a chance they can live happy together or too many roos for the amount of pullets for Harmony in the pen :)

I agree with smoochie 1 roo per 10 hens or more...otherwise they will be over bred, barebacked with complete feather loss, and can get mamed. With this group I see 4 roos and 3 hens..You definitely should only have have 1 roo with so little hens.

Back
Top Bottom