roos or hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pattym01, Aug 9, 2013.

1. pattym01

pattym01 New Egg

Jun 26, 2012
    I bought some eggs for a broody hen as I have no roos. they were all blue eggs. 5 of the 6 hatched. All the chicks have 5 toes. I was told they are 1/2 Ameracauna and 1/2 Dorking. They are almost 8 weeks old.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have no idea how to determine if they are roos or hens - these are my first babies. Any ideas?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    EE can be tough to sex, but it looks like two brown pullets and the other three are cockerels - assuming that there two of the black and white birds.

3. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    x2! [​IMG]

4. pattym01

pattym01 New Egg

Jun 26, 2012
    thanks! There are 2 browns (they are the smallest), 1 blk and white, and 2 black/reds. So you think only the light browns are pullets?

5. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    I don't see a second black/red, but I think the browns are probably pullets, and the other two in the pictures are probably cockerels.

Very pretty birds! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  6. pattym01

pattym01 New Egg

Jun 26, 2012
    [​IMG]The 2 red/blks - not sure if that is the "official color combo" - but they sure are pretty - oops- handsome!

7. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    The one in the background looks like the one you have in your original post, and I think that one's a cockerel - both the comb and the shiny hackle (neck) feathers and the red back feathers look like a boy. The one in the foreground, I can't see its comb, but I'm not sure about gender from the coloring. The red on the shoulders make me think cockerel, but the neck looks a bit pullet-ish. I'd still lean cockerel. Does its comb look like the other black/red one?

8. pattym01

pattym01 New Egg

Jun 26, 2012
    comb is close to the same. Can I go by size too? The 3 are just larger than the 2 light brown "hens". I hate to give away a hen by mistake as my 3 original girls are barely laying. "momma" stopped laying since she went broody - when will she start laying again. And my other 2 rarely lay - could it be "sympathy" hormones?[​IMG]

9. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Cockerels do tend to be a bit bigger than pullets as they grow I think, but sometimes you could probably get a large hen, too. Are you able to get another picture of that last black/red one, and a picture of the comb?

I had a broody hen a couple years ago (now I don't have chickens, just ducks) and I'm sorry but I can't remember when she started laying again. I can tell you that one of my ducks who recently went broody didn't lay until about a week and a half after her ducklings hatched. It probably varies from hen to hen, but not sure what the "norm" is. And I think I have heard that having a broody hen can disrupt the other hens' laying for some reason - it may be some sort of hormones. [​IMG]

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your first pictures, the browns are pullets. That's a classic easter egger coloring for females.
    Everyone else is a rooster. The black and white bird has too much comb for a female at this age, and those black and red birds are male coloring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by