Roos or is it way to early to tell?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by citychicken1, Mar 14, 2011.

1. citychicken1

citychicken1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    I have four three week old serama chicks. The other day I noticed one had red wattels begining, and I thought Roo? Then tonight I heard all this ruccas in the brooder and two of them were fighting and chest bumping like two teen age boys! The one with the red starting on the lower sides of it's mouth and the littelest one. and sure enough that little one is getting the red around it's mouth too! Is it too early to suspect Roosterhood? [​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Some pics would really help! [​IMG]

3. citychicken1

Nov 14, 2010
    Sorry Ranchhand I still haven't figured out how to download or post pics. My son has done that for me in the past and he isn't here. I will try to get some up tomorrow. Thanks

4. Kaceyx73

Kaceyx73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    I'd say its way to early to tell. However, bear in mind most young roosters will chase each other around, or spend their time chasing the girls around the pen. While I am not familiar with seramas, the chest bumping sounds more like little ladies establishing their pecking order. Roos get such a bad rap for fighting, when its hens that go at it more than the roos. I have 2 roos, and 11 hens. The hens are the only ones I've ever seen chest bumping, and if the dominant roo isn't there to break it up, they will start flapping and kicking.

My one roo that I raised from a chick with the girls, was notorious as a chick for playing bowling ball. He would look for a pile of chicks huddled together sleeping and run across the brooder straight into them, sending them all scattering. I do remember them chest bumping occasionally, but not the little roo.

I'd still say to early to call, though. Just sit back and enjoy chicken politics. Please pass the popcorn...

5. citychicken1

Nov 14, 2010
    Quote:These are the pictures of the faces of the two that I suspect of being roosters. The other two chicks don't have the darker red under their beaks and it does not hang down at all. Bear in mind that these birds are three weeks old and they all have the same parents. Any experts on sexing chicks coments would be helpfull. Thanks in advance. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by