Roos or keepers? I live in town....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bird/wire, Oct 27, 2011.

1. bird/wire

bird/wire Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2011
    Hey all I posted this in my state thread, got some great information there and they suggested I post over here so here goes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    2, 3, 4, 7 for sure. Bit early, though. Try again in a couple weeks.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I'd say 3, 4, and 7 are cockerels. Possibly 6 as well. But it is a bit early to be positive. [​IMG]

4. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    2, 3, 4, 7. And what breed(s) are the laced ones?

5. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Definitely eat #4.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    4 and 7 stand out as roos...post again in about 2-3 weeks and we can be more accurate for you

7. bird/wire

Aug 30, 2011
    Someone in another thread said they were sebrights? Golden and Silver? and number one is maybe a buff sebright? I really have no idea, they were from a bin at the feed store and thus my not knowing much about them! Funny thing is now that the boys in the bunch are being identified as such I am thinking I am getting a better idea of what the criteria are for telling them apart.

MAH GUESSES:

I think that 2,3,4,6,7, are roos...

I am on the fence about 1, and 7 is the one I am closely watching as she looks so very roo and and cuddles everyone up like a hen? or maybe he is my daughters fav and I am wishful thinking and will hold on to hope till I actually see him crow to believe it?

5,9,12,13,14,15,16 are all a few weeks younger than the rest but I am HIGHLY interested to see if any of those are roo as some dude at the feed store "sexed" them for me out of the straight runs....I think of them all as tiny young ladies....[​IMG]

8 was looking like one of 3 white roos but then she is totally a different color on her comb and I can see her feather development being a little different now from the other white cochin. That really does not show up in the photo.

Whew, I'll be back with some more photos soon. I am going to take better photos next time also. [​IMG]

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    The laced ones are Sebrights. If they turn male, you DEFINITELY don't want to try to keep them inside of city limits. They crow and crow and crow until you wonder if they'll turn blue in the face. It doesn't matter about the time of day.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Unfortunately, Sebrights are "hen-feathered," which means they do not get the secondary sexual characteristics of "male" feathering. The COMB, however, is what will tell you if you have a boy or a girl Sebright, whether buff, silver or golden. The girls have practically NO combs whatsoever, and the males get this amazing comb with a spike on the "back" end, facing backwards.

They are LOUD roosters, trust me. I have two Silver Sebright roosters and their crowing is louder than my large fowl roosters can crow!!!

10. bird/wire

Aug 30, 2011
    That is great to know about the sebrights and even better that I am getting this important information before me and my neighbors found out the hard way. [​IMG]

Speaking of finding out the hard way:

Curiouser and curiouser to me is that mah Big Red Chicken (actual name) who we have thought was a girl for sure! has apparently started growing spurs?!!? Which I believe is the undeniable boyness? no matter the breed? Like knobs sprouting on the backs of the legs? Decidedly, for sure, a ROOSTER like checking the a diaper on a baby human confirmation of gender? Riiight?

SERIOUSLY has not crowed EVER. This rooster will not make any crowing or crow-like sounds, just cluckle-ly little noises.

Could this mean that he caught on that every time one of his buddies crowed they got shipped off?

See, we started with 8 baby chicks last spring and 5 (now 6) (2 RIP, probably pullets...) were roos that we determined the sex of by waiting for them to crow. They were our "starter" chickens from the feed store and we had no idea about breed so we went with CROWS as the determiner for sex. They would crow, then they would GO. Frequently the day of or next day following the first crow.. . Is it possible for this bird to have been pulling a Mrs. Doubtfire all this time or am I anthropomorphizing mah poultry?

Does this make him the perfect stealth townie roo or is it inevitable that he will just not be able to keep from shouting "I'm a ROO-ooo-OO-oooo" someday?

What to do? Does he look quiet and smart or does he get shipped to the boonies? Is he a he or a she?

The pic is from earlier this summer, I will get a fresher one if needed...and also (just for my sanity) would someone please confirm the black hen next to Big Red is indeed a hen? Black sex-link? maybe?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by