1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Roos or Pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by saginawmom, Aug 9, 2010.

1. saginawmom

saginawmom In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Saginaw, TX
    Any ideas what these chickies could be? roo or pullet? They are about 3 weeks. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Looks like 2 Rhode Island Reds and a Buff Orfington... [​IMG]

3. RL

RL Songster

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    Looks to me like you have 3 pullets.

4. saginawmom

saginawmom In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    Saginaw, TX
    Quote:Can i ask how u know? the tail feathers? the combs? color? how?

5. RL

RL Songster

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    I am going by their backs mostly. It looks like the middle of their backs are feathered in which says girl to me. If they were boys the middle of their backs would still be baby fuzz at three weeks. Everything I see in the pics just say girls to me.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Can i ask how u know? the tail feathers? the combs? color? how?

The tail feathers come in later. At this point the faces (combs and wattles) are how I tell which is which. Roos get very red in the face early. I don't judge by the size of combs and wattles because different breeds have differently sized combs and wattles, but if they come in red early then that is usually a good indicator. Later you will see the tail feathers and the pointed hackle feathers. There is also the leg size (roos are thicker)and the overall posture (roos are more upright/taller). It takes a while to become adept at telling one gender from the other.

1 person likes this.
  7. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Still a bit too early to tell actually. Healthy looking youngsters though. [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, cockerels or pullets.[​IMG] Time and secondary sex characteristics will define which. (If I were a betting man, I'd say pullets. At this point it's pretty much conjecture.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by