1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roos or Pullets???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rebel Chicken, May 13, 2007.

1. Rebel Chicken

Rebel Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    southern Indiana
    My chicks(I still call them that) are over almost 3 months old now! I finally figured out what breeds they all were now I need to figure out who is a roo and who is a pullet!

These are my 2 RIR. I think they are both pullets, but I'd like to have other opinions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Dolly Parton. She's my Black Austrolorpe. I'm almost posative she's a pullet.
    [​IMG]

Finally this is Collin. My SLW. I'm thinkin roo, but I'm dumbfounded on his real gender?
    [​IMG]
    You can see him in this pic too...
    [​IMG]

2. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    The bottom picture does indeed make the Wyandotte appear to have much more wattle and comb. Good news is the males do feather in w/ a whole lot more white on their wings so you shall soon know for sure.

3. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I definitely think you have all pullets, except for collin. His comb and waddles are much more red, than the others.

4. Rebel Chicken

Rebel Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    southern Indiana
    Thanks. I'm really hoping That Collin is a pullet. I will have to rehome him if it is a roo though. [​IMG]

5. earthy_chicks

earthy_chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2007
    My SLW "pullet" has similar red wattle and comb so we'll see. If you look at pictures on www.feathersite.com the pics of SLW pullets show a pretty red comb and wattle too. well, back to waiting for an egg or a crow [​IMG]

6. earthy_chicks

earthy_chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2007
    Update about my SLW. Rooster all the way. So my final vote is that your SLW is also a roo.

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

My vote for Collin is a roo. The pullets would have a comb like that, too, but the redness is throwing up a flag for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by