Roo's rear is angry red, see picture

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shortstaque, Dec 23, 2010.

1. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Cuckoo Marans hatchery cockerel, 29 wks old, nice and hefty
    2) What is the behavior, exactly
    Acting normally, but he has a red area with no feathers below his vent.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Just noticed it tonight
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No bleeding but it does look very angry red, perhaps a bit inflamed.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Could be that other birds are picking on him, but I think he is the alpha roo, we have an Easter Egger cockerel as well, who took longer to develop. Both of the roos are very nice, and not agressive to me. I have never observed them fighting, although they do get in a huff when the other tries to mount a hen in close proximity. I have twice observed a bloody comb on the Marans and separated him until it scabbed over, but that was not recently, and was when we still had a few other roos. We now have 17 pullets and the two roos between them.
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Eating normally as far as I know.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    I'll check under his roost in the morning, but I haven't observed anything out of the ordinary
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    None, I would have separated him, but they were already on the roost and I figured no one can pick on him overnight. If need be, I can put him in isolation in the chicken tractor, but it is not insulated and the weather has been in the 20's of late.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I'd prefer to treat him myself. Freezer camp is always an option ; )
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    [​IMG]
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    About two weeks ago they moved into their winter quarters (from the portable chicken tractor), which is about 120 sq ft inside, with a run that is about 360 sq ft, so if my math is correct they have about 25 sq feet per bird between both. They spend most of their day in the run which is full of composting leaves. The coop has 3 roosts with poop hammocks below them, their food and nest boxes are raised, so the entire floor space is open for use. The bedding inside the coop is a heavy layer of straw. I empty the poop hammocks daily to keep the fecal matter at a minimum.

I'm assuming another bird/birds is/are responsible for this. I'm not sure if the assumed pecking is resulting from adjustments in pecking order from the recent move, or changes in behavior due to the recent cold weather or if it is something else entirely. Am I even correct in assuming that this is a result of feather pecking?

Is feather pecking/vent pecking indicative of a nutritional imbalance that I could try correcting? I certainly want to nip any cannibalistic behaviors in the butt, ahem, bud.

Any advice for me is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It really looks like feather picking to me. could be because of the move now they have to get the pecking order[ in order] again. Have you been leaving a light on in the coop for heat? I had a red heat lamp burning for a couple nights last week and one of my roos wattles were a bloody mess, cleaned him up and sprayed blue kote on it he's completely healed now. I am thinking it was because of the light. Have you checked your birds for mites or lice just in case it could be something like that? Some say lack of protein will cause feather picking so maybe up their protein with some boss, meal worms, scrambled eggs. Just clean him up and put neosporin or bk and keep him seperate till he heals and he should be fine.....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by