1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roos separate til mating?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Cknldy, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    My girls need a break but I have questions. Build small bachelor pad coops just for roos until I decide to have fertile eggs? What about pecking order when he's reintroduced to hens? I have different breeds separated so no mixed chickens. Does separating them calm the roo when he's alone or will it make him more aggressive? I don't do the tie outs. I plan to get more trios of different breeds but want to take care of this with the ones I already have first. Any pics would be great. My idea is separate box out of pallets style house with a run for each roo.

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    There will be no pecking order as long the pen is right next to each other. it will keep him company. He will stressed out at first , bet he will be fine. Your Rooster will be pacing back and forth along the fence (drives me nuts! )

3. Cknldy

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    My plan was to put bachelor pads across driveway. We have woods separated by the driveway, on one section i have 2 coops- one for rir's and one for bg hens. On the upper section of woods was where i planned to put the bachelor coops. Do u think this would work? Roo could hear but possibly not see the hens.

4. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    That will be good.

5. Cknldy

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Thanks. I don't have the advantage of flat land for the barn style idea. Wish i did though! We'll make due.

6. Fly Fisher

Fly Fisher Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I always keep my roosters in separate housing. If you can keep the rooster from seeing the hens he will become quite docile within a very short time. Most roosters also take quickly to individual cages. This method is also an excellent way to keep multiple roosters in a controlled environment while evaluating breeder potential.

Fly

7. Cknldy

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Wow- thanks. Mr. Peck's bachelor coop -as of today- has a floor and 3 sides, one with pop hole to go into run, and a nice tree branch roost inside. The rest of the week is supposed to be nice weather and i think my girls are understanding that they are about to get a break!

8. Indigosands

Indigosands Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    Yucca Valley, CA
    Thinking about this myself, since it didn't get answered yet, will the roo(s) be especially mean to the girls when re-introduced or just allowed to free range with them? Do they fight amongst themselves a lot? What about crowing.. more or less if they are separate from the girls?

9. Cknldy

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    I separated roo from hens for a week back in november when roo got extremely aggressive and my ladies were starting to look a bit worn out. Put him in 2'×4' dog cage, he calmed down towards me but by the end of the week he was pacing. I worried about stressing out by being in smaller area than he was used to so he went back in with ladies. Mated each then everything went back to usual. I was wondering about more extended periods separated then reintroduced though. And yes, mr peck still crows even if he can't see the ladies. It's what roos do and i love it. My middle son said it's a peaceful farm sound to hear roo crow on his way to the bus!

10. Fly Fisher

Fly Fisher Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    Upstate New York
    When I place a rooster back with the hens it is specifically for breeding. I do not notice much difference in behavior from my free ranging egg flock.
    If you are planning to house multiple roosters in one pen you should not have a problem as long as they have been living together previously. Strangers in a pen will not work at all.

I have some pens with up to 2 dozen cockerels together and they are non aggressive and do not fight. These birds are from the same brood and have never been apart.

As for the crowing that's what roosters do but there are some things you can do to reduce the noise. I have rooster sheds and I position them with no windows facing the sunrise. The inside lighting is red. I do not open the doors until feeding time and then leave them open until dark. This keeps the noise confined to a time of day where it is tolerable.

fly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by