Roos stopped crowing

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bostontaylor, Sep 25, 2016.

1. bostontaylor

bostontaylor Just Hatched

Aug 18, 2016
    Seattle
    I haven't heard any of my boys crow in a couple of days. My hens also haven't laid in a couple of days. What the heck is going on? They just recently got moved to a new coop and they seem to really love it there. They don't seem unhappy or scared or anything. Any ideas?

2. bostontaylor

Aug 18, 2016
    Seattle
    I should add that they laid for several days once they got put in the new coop. Now nothing.

3. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Moving causes stress and stress tends to make them stop laying. They will usually lay the eggs that are already in production, before stopping though, hence you can get eggs for a few days after moving them.
    It could also be the change in seasons that is making them stop - they need around 14 hours of light to lay an egg a day, so unless you are supplying extra light its only natural for them to stop laying in the winter. Or maybe the new cage is in a different position where they get less light.
    There are many possibilities, but according to threads on here it usually takes 2-3 weeks for quail to resume laying after being moved. If they don't have 14 hours of light, I wouldn't expect them to restart before spring though.

1 person likes this.
  4. bostontaylor

Aug 18, 2016
    Seattle

That makes a lot of sense! I also added in some more quail so maybe that's made them more stressed as well. Where they are now gets more light so I'm not horribly worried about that aspect. Thanks! That's helpful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by