roos that are lousy at breeding

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by onthespot, Dec 7, 2008.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    How much time do you give to a rooster to figure out "the deed"? I have one roo that ought to be better at this by now. A lot of the time he pins the hens, only sets one foot on her back and shakes his tail over the ground, sometimes only half heartedly at that. I put him alone with a few hens to check fertility, and it was very low, but got a bit better later. Would you just eat him and be done with it, or give him more time? It is my most correct Copper Black Marans roo. I think I need to buy him a copy of "Treading for Dummies" but have not seen it anywhere. Anyone who has a copy they are not using and would like to part with, PM me!

[​IMG]

2. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Nice bird. How old is he? I've had Delaware cockerels who were awkward until 7 months. They usually have it at pretty well that point.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    He is just over eight months old. I am glad to hear yours was awkward for a while. I do NOT want to miss out on the genetics here, as he hatched from a very dark egg, and was a huge, healthy chick, just everything you could want in a roo, except awkward at treading and not very nice to the ladies. He is not mean, per se, but doesn't do much in the way of showing them food, protecting them, all that. I will be very happy to give him more time, and hens to practice on if it will give me good looking, good treading roo months from now. Thanks for the encouragement.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That's a big boy.

Looks delicious.

5. Crazy_For_Chickens

Crazy_For_Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Minnesota
    I would probibly wait through winter and see if he will do "the deed" in the middle of spring. I have heard that some roosters will ONLY do it in the middle of spring.

Good Luck! [​IMG]

6. @migocontodos~

@migocontodos~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Try seperating him from the ladies...absence makes the heart grow fonder!

7. Texas ChickenZ

Texas ChickenZ Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2008
    North Texas
    @migocontodos~ :

Try seperating him from the ladies...absence makes the heart grow fonder!

[​IMG] I couldn't agree more!​

8. Texas ChickenZ

Texas ChickenZ Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2008
    North Texas
    Quote:I couldn't resist this but, "Glad I'm not a rooster!"

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    One of my roosters was very clumsey with it for the longest time. I'm guessing that out of every 20 attempts he managed to complete the act without falling on his face one time.
    He's 8 months old now and getting better. Both of my boys have cut way back on their mating since it got cold here. I pity my poor hens come spring.

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Well hey, I guess I was putting too much pressure on him, cuz as soon as I decided to ignore how clumsy he was, I saw him tread a hen and it looked 100% normal this morning. I will make a point of not watching him for a while and hope for the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by