Roo's Used As Packing Material???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by frizzlemom, Nov 20, 2008.

1. frizzlemom

frizzlemom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    Nebraska
    I ordered a dozen frizzle chicks from Ideal last week, I didn't really want 25, so they put some male chicks in the order to make a full box so they'd stay warm. I never knew they did this, and what do people do with the roo's used as styrofoam peanuts?? I will keep them and raise them along with my frizzles, but I'm sure not everyone can/will do this. I feel sorry for the poor, unwanted, discarded little guys. Some of them look like Ameracaunas and some are big white chicks.

My husband said, "great, now you'll want to start a chicken rescue for the "Packing Material Roo's". Hmmm, that might just be an idea!

Becky

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    At 10 - 12 weeks you can harvest them for your table. They make excellent fryers.

3. michellelei1

michellelei1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2008
    Brockton, MA
    I don't think they should do that because some people are'nt allowed to keep roosters in there city or town but also i think they have to because not a lot of people order roos and then what are the going to do with them

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Put a free rooster ad on Craigslist and they'll be gone in a day or two especially if you keep them to the point of being mostly feathered out.

5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I didn't now that anyone was shipping chicks this time of year? Everyone I contacted said they are done until spring.

6. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I hope they put a ton in my box. I ordered chicks for the 1st time and they were shipped yesterday but not here yet:( I'm hoping they put extras in there to keep the 30 I ordered warm. I am so scared for my chicks and I know I never should have ordered them in the winter.

7. chickencoop31320

chickencoop31320 Have bator, will hatch

Sep 24, 2008
    Southeast Georgia
    I just ordered from Ideal too, I purposely ordered 26 chicks to avoid getting "packing roos". On their ordering policies page it states that if you order less than a certain amount, they will add extra male chicks for warmth. It also states that if you do not want them added you can purchase insurance for your order instead.

http://www.ideal-poultry.com/policy.asp

Missprissy is right too... Fried chicken sure is yummy...
    I'm sure there are worse things done with "unwanted/unordered" male chicks.
    Good luck:)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:The problem with that is that the hatchery doesn't know your areas laws and ordinances. Using the roosters as "packing peanuts" is good because it puts them to good use, instead of being thrown out to die and starve like some hatcheries do that only sell female chickens for factory egg production. So be thankful that these guys get a chance at life.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  9. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    I don't understand why they don't just accomodate the number, and hand out smaller boxes you know? The hatchery we got our chicks from here in Canada uses order # appropriate boxes, the minimum order is like 10, and we ordered 15, and they came in a teeny weeny box, and were all very happy and snuggly warm.

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Because if they don't put so many in a box the chicks will freeze. A smaller box wouldn't really help. Less chicks=colder temps in the box=cold chicks. The point of the roos is to help keep the others warm. The colder the weather you ship in the more important it is and the more roos you're likely to get. You could argue for heat packs though. When I ordered live fish and aquatics online they just put in hand warmers. The other thing is if they don't send you the roos they kill them off themselves. If they send them out a few people might keep them and many more will live for at least awhile before they are turned into dinner. Whatever you do with them they have a better fate than if the hatchery had to deal with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by