roos vs hawks

NicoleRM

Songster
13 Years
Dec 2, 2007
Williston, FL
So, I don't want to get caught by surprise when it comes to predators, so I've been reading this forum a lot lately. The only predators I really have to worry about it my area are hawks. There is one in particular (at least I think it's the same one) that frequently spends time in the vicinity of my yard.

One of the things I've learned here is that roosters will often play "lookout" for the hens in their flocks while free ranging. I purchased an assortment of 30 bantams from Ideal about 4 weeks ago and it's getting close to time for me to figure out which one or two roos I will keep. Keeping the hawks in mind, would it be unwise for me to keep a polish roo or another breed with a big hairdo since I wouldn't think they could see as well? Or am I waaay overthinking this like everything else and I should just keep the roos I like best?
smile.png

I think your right about them not seeing well. Would you post pics of your bantam collection? How many roos did you end up getting?

I wouldn't want a large crested polish or silkie guarding my flock...lol. They have trouble seeing. You want something that is alert and quick.

You're not over thinking....... it's called being prepared.

Julie
big_smile.png

Wow, you guys are fast!
smile.png

I'm kinda sad you confirmed my suspicions, because I was getting kinda attached to the little guys with afros. LOL

Hmmm... maybe if I could keep two....my husband is SO going to kill me!

You could use the excuse I did.... Lil roo's don't count, they're too small and don't eat much...lol

Julie
big_smile.png

Besides which you have to always have more than one roo. If one dies or gets killed you won't have one for the girls. No fertile eggs and you will have to buy another one... see I got this all covered !!
wink.png

Last edited:
Yeah, pick out a non crested breed, all my big crested polish got eaten by hawks... just two, but nonetheless, didn't work out here. Plus, banties are easy catches for most hawks so you might want to have a covered run in the plans just in case. Bar the silkies, I have standards that are all too big for a standard hawk to want to eat. Actually, haven't had a problem with a hawk since my broody went all out and attacked one twice that was trying to catch and eat her baby.

Quote:
I'm not sure how many roos there will be yet, but there are a few that are showing sure signs! I haven't even figured out what breed most of them are yet! LOL It's really confusing though because some of them look like breeds that aren't even listed on Ideal's website?

And yes my coop is painted purple
tongue.png

2191453510_76bd37663c.jpg

2191455264_ea7440f180.jpg

2190666069_38f3832903.jpg

Quote:
Thanks for the info! My run is totally covered with shade cloth since I was worried about them baking in the sun, so no worries there. Mostly I'm worried about if I let them out in the yard on the weekends when I am home, etc. I have one EE hen now thats just been a pet (she refuses to lay for me! lol) and I'm even worried about her fat butt getting carted off sometimes because the hawk I am seeing is huge. Usually I put my dog (great dane) out when she is out anyways and it seems to keep my mind at ease at least a little, but I'm not sure if it actually helps.

I love em. In the last picture, there is a chick in the very center that is very brown....light br. with a dark br on the back of its head and it has its neck stretched way out......THAT is my favorite one. As they are all so cute obviously....that one caught my eye.

oh and that is a very nice purple
wink.png

Last edited:
I also found that after the hawk attacks, I now have much wiser chickens who are more keen on dangers from the sky. When you do free range, make sure there is plenty of places to hide.

Back
Top Bottom