Roos' weight

moodusnewchick

Songster
11 Years
Feb 15, 2008
CT
I have a Blk JG. He's huge and beautiful. I saw his mating style today. He seems really heavy for his girls: sister who is no where near his size, bo's and delawares. Is it possible for him to actually hurt them with his weight?

Have they lost any back feathers? Our roo is big too and only one hen has baldness. Then again she came that way.... The others we got the were bald and are all feathered now.

No, no one is bald yet. I just felt that the pullet looked awfully squished under his weight...besides the fact that he wasn't making contact that i could notice.

It's probably ok - my hens all squat when the Chef gets on them. It looks like they are fighting but only for a second. I guess it helps knowing the Roo has no penis.
gig.gif

IMO, the hens body and their natural squat is designed to take the weight of a roo.
I've seen no ill effects to my hens from my rowdy boys. The worst that has happened is a few lost neck feathers, but I'm seeing less and less of those now that the boys have refined their mating skills.

Back
Top Bottom