Roos?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by somissemilyy, May 16, 2011.

1. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    At about what age do they start crowing? I have a RIR & a BR that are about 3 months old.. Also, when do young hens start laying also..

We had the windows up in the coop one night and I came back in the morning, and sitting there it looked like a soft egg was sitting there and it had been cracked open already. Also, the chicks like sleeping in the windows.. I guess that's why there was a egg there,lol. So they are the only ones that can fit up there. The baby hens are all about 3 months old.

2. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I think I was told it was about 4 months but it varies with the breed and how fast they mature usually it's right around when they start getting hormones lol

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Hens start to lay anywhere from 16-20 weeks. I am not sure when your roo's will start to crow, as it varies depending on the roo. If there are other roo's around that are crowing, a lot of times they will influence the baby roo's to crow too.

4. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    My three 10 week old roos crowed at me when I let them out one morning last week and I haven't heard them since. Maybe they were trying to tell me something? No idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by