1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 3 irish boys, Apr 4, 2012.

1. 3 irish boys

3 irish boys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG][​IMG]I'm a poultry newbie & any opinions will be greatly appreciated! These 2 are supposd to be an Ameraucana (but more likely an EE), and a Barred Rock. The coloration on the BR leads me to believe maybe it's a black sex-link?? My biggest concern is that I'm thinking they're Roos. They are 5 1/2 weeks old. Thoughts on sexes & breeds please!!?? They were purchdes @ TSC.

2. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    The EE is definitely a cockerel, the something-or-other in the top pic, I'm not sure of [​IMG]

3. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    The second one sort of looks like a pullet, but not much. Those feet are huge!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  4. wackyChris16

wackyChris16 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    In my experience with EE's, the second one looks like a cock.
    I don't know what the first one is, but it's not an EE or BR. You'll have to wait and see on the second one to get a somewhat accurate guess on it - chances are that if you bought it from a feed store, it's a pullet. :)

5. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    And the 1st one is definitely not a Barred Rock [​IMG]

6. 3 irish boys

3 irish boys Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I'm bummed out! I was looking forward to colored eggs:( Do you think the 2nd is most likely a black sex-link then? Other possibilities? Thanks for all your input!

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    First one looks like a black sex link pullet. 2nd one is an EE cockerel.

8. BeekeeperChick

BeekeeperChick New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    NorCal
    Just curious, but how can you tell the second one is a boy? What indicators would I look for in my own 5-6 week old flock.
    Thanks.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The comb, leg thickness and the biggest indicator is the red coloring on the wing bow.

10. BeekeeperChick

BeekeeperChick New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    NorCal
    Thank you. I checked the rows of feathers on my day old chicks to see if I could see the secondary set of feathers.
    But I wondered what other indicators one looked for when they are older.
    I only ordered a few straight run chicks but even the sexed are only supposed to be @ 80%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by