Roos

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jenns Hens, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Jenns Hens

Jenns Hens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    We have two Rhodebars and two buff Orpingtons. They are 17 weeks old and both buffs are Roos (crowing). Other than not laying eggs, and the noise from crowing is it ok to keep them with the two Rhodebars who are female? Or should I give them away? We only want the chickens for egg laying but don't mind keeping the Roos if there will be no danger to the Rhodebars egg laying productivity.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would personally get rid of both roosters. Two hens are not enough for two roosters. It is likely that the hens will be overmated and possibly injured. Ideally, you want at least 8 hens per rooster.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I second that. Your hens will likely be over mated and stressed, and that can lead to decreased egg production and increased susceptibility to parasites and disease. let the roosters go and replace with two more hens if you want.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    i agree with the previous anwser. The only way I would keep the roosters is if you got a lot more hens. You don't want baled backs. Over-mating can add stress to them too, which could lead to lowered egg production.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by