Roost advice.....pic included

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Amp, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Amp

Amp Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Alabama
    I started working on the roost yesterday and I don't like it. The top roost is 43" and it's fine but the shorter roost is bothering me. If someone is roosting on the smaller one they are going to get pooped on. I extends out 18" and needs to be big enough for 6 chicks. Advice?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    view of whole house

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice start.....Keep the pics coming [​IMG]

Put a poop pan under the upper one. Poop pans catch about 75% of the poo inside the coop and provides cover if one is sitting below looking out the window. As to their size, it looks like 6 birds can sit on either one

3. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    They'll move to the right once they get the first present dropped on their head. Seriously, the poop pan under the top roost will prevent any problems.

Nice Job, BTW.

4. Erebus

Erebus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread a bit.
    I'm currently looking after chickens on someone else's property and looking to build my own set-up and maybe improve theirs, which is kinda shoddy.
    If I were to make a poop tray for the birds, what sort of materials should I use?
    Also, what's the easiest way to attach it? How far down, and how wide?

Also, while I'm here, my birds are currently roosting on poplar branches (which is basically 30mm (1.2"?) dowel).
    Is there any upside to having them roost on beams rather than dowel?

Thanks heaps.

5. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Amp, I like how your roosts are set up. They usually won't poop on each other on purpose. My roosts are in a T formation as well and I've never seen them do that.

Erebus- Chickens like to use a wider roost if possible since they don't really clutch the perch/roost like small birds do. They like to roost on the wide part of a 2X4 and then sit over their feet to keep them warm. Also easier to balance [​IMG].

6. Erebus

Erebus Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks for the tip. [​IMG]

My birds have a stupid rail to climb up to the higher perch and sometimes they roost on the bottom rail (especially the less strong juveniles) as well as the top. Result? Poopy birds. *sigh*

7. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    most of the time they will all crowd onto the top roost if it's possible anyway.

8. Amp

Amp Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Alabama
    OK, thanks
    I will just leave it and see how it works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by