1. critterlover

critterlover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    Connecticut
    I am new to chickens and we are in the process of getting our coop and run built. I have done a lot of research and we are going to make the roost from 2x4's. I know about the height and distance between them, but I have not seen any info indicating what angle/degree is best to build it.

I will be getting Orpingtons, Australorps and Barred Rocks so they will be full figured girls.

Thanks

2. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    You can just build them straight across the roost itself doesnt need to be angled

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, you don't want a roost slanted, it hsould be horizontal. Or are you talking about the angle of a ladder-style roost assembly? That's not necessarily the best design for all situations, but if you *are* using a ladder style, the angle can be pretty much anything you want as long as it permits you to have at least 12" horizontally between roosts (i.e. if you were looking down from the ceiling, they should look 12" or more apart). Otherwise you get chickens pooing on each other [​IMG]

Really though if you have room for just a single roost that will accommodate all the chickens, that can have some real advantages (reduces social friction since chickens are all at same height; allows you to easily use a droppings board to keep coop much cleaner and drier)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I used what I had on hand for their first roost at age 7 wks when I put them in the coop.

I had one 8 ft 2 x 4 and one 8 ft 1 x 4. So I cut both in half. Leaned the 2 x 4's against the garage and measured up from the ground 1 1/2 ft for the first rung and another 1 1/2 ft for the second rung and that then gave me the aprox distance from the wall to cut my angles so the 2 x 4 would be flush against the coop wall. I used a level while holding the 1 x 4 in place, marked then predrilled and installed two 1 1/2 in deck screws.

When they get older I plan to make a taller one with eye bolts on the top of the 2 x 4's so I can easily remove the roost for cleaning the coop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I believe the one roost system works best as well if you have the room for it.
    Have you heard the saying "rules the roost" Well it generally comes from the fact that chickens like to roost as high as they can get. With the ladder style there is a lot of comotion of the top rung. They peck, knock each other off and generally "overcrowd" for the top rung.

When I went to the one roost system all the comotion in my coop at roost time stopped. They had nothing to fight over they were all at the same height. Although I have some banties that can fly to the top of the cabinets on the one side of the coop.

6. critterlover

Apr 15, 2009
    Connecticut
    Thank you for the photo. That is what I had in mind when asking about the 'angle' which I don't think I worded properly in my first post.

Although, now that everyone keeps talking about a single roost if possible to prevent bickering, I think I am going to see if there is enough room to do that.

I would imagine that if you put two 2x4's parallel to each other but 12" apart, the girls would be happy? That way everyone is on the same level rather than doing one roost below the other. That would also make it easy to put a drop tray under the root.

Do you agree?

7. scooter147

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I agree two at the same height (about 30-36 inches above the floor) will work perfectly. I actually have three at the same level. It's amazing how much posturing goes on for that top rung.

I would definately incorporate the dropping board if you can, I did about three years ago and it was worth every cent and every second of work put into it. I now only clean my coop twice a year once in the spring and once in the fall. Without all the roost poo the shavings don't get nearly as dirty and definately not nearly as fast.

8. critterlover

Apr 15, 2009
    Connecticut
    What did you use for a dropping board?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  9. scooter147

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I simply elevated a piece of plywood under the roosts (approximately foot under the roosts) and bought a piece of scrap kitchen flooring to place over the plywood.
    I use a dust pan and a brush to sweep it up once a week. I then spread the poo over my garden and flower beds. When the flooring gets "too" dirty I simply take it out spray it with a bleach solution, spray off and let it dry in the sun.

10. critterlover

Apr 15, 2009
    Connecticut
    What a great idea! I had planned on getting a piece of kitchen flooring from a home improvement store to cover the floor, but had not thought of elevating it closer to the roost. That also leaves the chickens more open floor space when they are in the coop.

I think we will be getting an extra piece of plywood and doing it that way. Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by