Roost board...

Melyssa

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Mid-Coast Maine
I have used a 2x4 for a roost, 4in. side up, since then someone has told me that they would rather roost on the more narrow side-2in side up. Any input?

Mine do fine on the 4 inch side, I've also heard it keeps their feet warm in the winter. If you already have it that way, I would just leave it unless they're not using it.

In my tractor I had a 4" flat side up and the thicker part of a shovel handle. The bigger birds (RIR roo especially) prefered the 4" and the smaller Leghorns always preferred the shovel handle. Maybe it depends on the size of your birds?

Anyway, shovel handles are too expensive to buy for a roost and I don't have any more junk ones laying around. They are gonna have to get used to the 2x4's in their new coop I guess.

The 4" side up is recommended. Chickens do not curl their toes around a perch like birds do. The flat is more desirable, and also provides more area for them to "sit" on their toes/feet which helps to keep their feet warmer in winter (and helps prevent frostbite).

Melyssa
welcome-byc.gif

I use an old pallet for their roost and they seem to sit
on their feet. I have feathered legged cochins.
and have had no trouble during the cold and snow months.
thumbsup.gif

In a cold climate you have to use the 4 inch side up.They have to be able to sit on and cover up their feet to prevent frost bite. If you think about it, their feet are the only part of their body that isn't protected with feathers. Will

My girls have found themselves a new spot on a piece of plywood about 3'x2'. Not sure why they prefer it, maybe because its 3 inches inches higher than the 2x4 roost? I have seen a couple of instances where ppl use a board for roosting, and was wondering if many more do. pros and cons/ they definately sit on their toes, do they like a wider roost than 4"?

Back
Top Bottom