Roost board...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Melyssa, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Melyssa

Melyssa Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I have used a 2x4 for a roost, 4in. side up, since then someone has told me that they would rather roost on the more narrow side-2in side up. Any input?

2. SOchick

SOchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Georgia
    Mine do fine on the 4 inch side, I've also heard it keeps their feet warm in the winter. If you already have it that way, I would just leave it unless they're not using it.

3. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    I've heard 4" also and that's what mine use fine.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

In my tractor I had a 4" flat side up and the thicker part of a shovel handle. The bigger birds (RIR roo especially) prefered the 4" and the smaller Leghorns always preferred the shovel handle. Maybe it depends on the size of your birds?

Anyway, shovel handles are too expensive to buy for a roost and I don't have any more junk ones laying around. They are gonna have to get used to the 2x4's in their new coop I guess.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

The 4" side up is recommended. Chickens do not curl their toes around a perch like birds do. The flat is more desirable, and also provides more area for them to "sit" on their toes/feet which helps to keep their feet warmer in winter (and helps prevent frostbite).

6. Melyssa

Melyssa Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Thanks everyone!

7. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Melyssa [​IMG]
    I use an old pallet for their roost and they seem to sit
    on their feet. I have feathered legged cochins.
    and have had no trouble during the cold and snow months.[​IMG]

8. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    In a cold climate you have to use the 4 inch side up.They have to be able to sit on and cover up their feet to prevent frost bite. If you think about it, their feet are the only part of their body that isn't protected with feathers. Will

9. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls have found themselves a new spot on a piece of plywood about 3'x2'. Not sure why they prefer it, maybe because its 3 inches inches higher than the 2x4 roost? I have seen a couple of instances where ppl use a board for roosting, and was wondering if many more do. pros and cons/ they definately sit on their toes, do they like a wider roost than 4"?

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I use Cherry tree limbs Free

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by