Roost Cleaning Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jettgirl24, Oct 29, 2010.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    Hi Guys,

I have two roosts which are made out of 2x4s. The chickens usually sleep on the top roost and it gets SO dirty. I clean it every couple of days but it's such a giant pain and it's starting to not come all that clean. I think I want to either replace it, or cover it with something that will be easier to clean.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Is it just getting dirty from their little muddy footprints? Or poo?

If it is just footprints, I personally don't worry about it. I sprinkle DE around liberally and that's it.

Oh well, not much help, am I?

[​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They get messy, but that is a very good kind of roost.

One experienced keeper on here periodically sands them down and oils them with a veggie oil. Painting doesn't work as they scratch it off. Any kind of cover is either going to be slippery or difficult to clean.

It's just part of keeping chickens.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I use Poop Off for our indoor birds, and have used it a time or two to spot clean off the chicken roost.

http://www.petco.com/product/12828/Poop-Off-Bird-Poop-Remover.aspx

For a big job, sanding down the roost would probably work better though.

You could use natural tree branches and just replace them when they get poopy. That's what I do in one of my coops.

5. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    For mine, I have a scraper from Home Depot, and just go over the roosts whenever I see they need it. Probably they will be ok as long as there isn't build up on them. I just wipe it right down into the bedding to clean it off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by