roost design (pic)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chicks4fun2, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Chicks4fun2

Chicks4fun2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2014
    Pacific NW
    ok I'm posting this pic because my hubby is convinced that my natural tree limb roosts are giving my two heavier birds bumble foot... so in your opinion how does this roost look? They are flatter softer and larger than our previous roosts... are they too poofy.. not sure that this is gonna make a difference... hmmmm suggestions?[​IMG]

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Well there roost can't give them bubble foot the only way they can get bumble foot is if they have no place to get in out of the wet ground or mud or something so it can't be that but those look like they are a little to over the top a simple two by two or a two by four will work just fine I like the two by two better though

3. Chicks4fun2

Mar 5, 2014
    Pacific NW
    unfortunately for them they live in the PNW and mud is just part of it ... this year we had the wettest season on record and as i write this its pouring! can't wait till summer!

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Wet ground and mud does not cause bumblefoot.
    Bumblefoot is caused by a staph infection in an open wound. If your bird gets a cut on the bottom of the foot, it can lead to bumblefoot.
    It's not the branches for roosts or the mud. It's something else in their environment that their feet are getting cut on.

5. Chicks4fun2

Mar 5, 2014
    Pacific NW
    I've read that heavier birds are more likely to get it and this is the case in my flock only my 2 big girls have gotten it....guess they are just clumsier than than the rest:)

6. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA

O well that's what I heard how it's caused

7. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Your larger breed hens are more likely to get bumble foot mostly because the land harder when they jump down from the roost. They are more likely to get a splinter, step harder on a rock and get a cut, etc. I'm afraid the fabric covered roost will soon become feces covered and trap bacteria. I use a flat 2x4 with the 4" side parallel to the floor. (The hens are sitting on the 4" side) This helps them keep their feet warm i the winter months (toes cozy under their bellies and feathers, lol).

8. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio

We also use a 2 x 4, 4" side up. It has worked well for our hens.

9. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    Would painting the roofs make them easier to clean? Will the chickens still have good traction?

10. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I don't like to paint my coop except for all four walls but not the roof or roost I paint the floor to help keep it from rotting and u know like those hard plastic bristle brunches people use fro there car tires I use one of them and a bucket of warm water and soap and scrub the poo and stuff off them and they look like new and it's not hard to do at all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by