Roost design

Whitney123

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
Central Illinois
I have 34 6 week old chicks and 14 3 week old chicks. Our coop is a converted shed approximately 15'x15'. I'm having trouble deciding how to design the roosts. The box in the picture was their brooder and will be coming down and the roosts will go where the blue lines are. How should they be supported? Does anyone have pictures showing this type of even roosts (as opposed to ladder style)? The floor is concrete.
20210607_230832.jpg
20210522_165953.jpg
Can roosts be hung from the ceiling or is it better for them to be stationary? Thank you for any help you can give!

It is better if they are stationary. What material do you intend to use for the roosts? Rods? What diameter?
2x4s Turned in end make good roosts. The size of the material will determine the supports needed.
In your situation, i might recommend 2x4s assembled with saw horse style supports. This would also allow them to be stable yet mobile and aid in cleaning (where chickens sleep, they poop...ALOT)

Roosts should be stationary. They should also be at least 12" from each other and the wall.
You need to add lots of permanent ventilation up high to that shed and secure any hole that is larger than 1/2" to prevent predators and mice/rats from entering.
It's a great shed for a coop conversion!

It is better if they are stationary. What material do you intend to use for the roosts? Rods? What diameter?
2x4s Turned in end make good roosts. The size of the material will determine the supports needed.
In your situation, i might recommend 2x4s assembled with saw horse style supports. This would also allow them to be stable yet mobile and aid in cleaning (where chickens sleep, they poop...ALOT)
I was planning to use 2x2. Saw horse style is a good idea. How should I attach it to the wood to still be able to move it? I'm not the best at building but my husband can do whatever I need as long as I tell him what I want! Thank you for your help!

I have 34 6 week old chicks and 14 3 week old chicks.
You're going to need ~50 feet of roost length.
How you plan to manage the manure will be a consideration.
Ladder style hinged at wall and able to hook to ceiling might be the way to go here.
Make sure the roosts flat side is level to ground when in roosting position.

Roosts should be stationary. They should also be at least 12" from each other and the wall.
You need to add lots of permanent ventilation up high to that shed and secure any hole that is larger than 1/2" to prevent predators and mice/rats from entering.
It's a great shed for a coop conversion!
Thanks! We actually cut in 2 large windows covered with hardware cloth up high on that wall with the other windows I just haven't taken an updated picture. We put baffles over those openings to prevent rain blowing in. We covered any opening we found with hardware cloth.

I figured the roosts should be stationary but I wasnt sure. There's an old roost high up in the shed that's hung from the ceiling.

You're going to need ~50 feet of roost length.
How you plan to manage the manure will be a consideration.
Ladder style hinged at wall and able to hook to ceiling might be the way to go here.
Make sure the roosts flat side is level to ground when in roosting position.
I was planning for 5 10ft roosts. I was also planning on deep litter but I didn't really think about how inaccessible underneath would be when cleaning was necessary. Hmm. I was hoping not to do ladder style to avoid fighting over roost space but I think they could still be hinged to be raised up for cleaning. I've been reading lots of posts about roosts and I know I read a few that hinged to the ceiling so i'll find those again. Thanks!

Yeah, your issue will be poop management. For an area that big the roosts will need to be easily moveable. It doesn't matter if they are supported by a support build from the ground up or if they are hung. The chickens really don't care but they do need to be fairly stable. I'll show how I made mine easily moveable. Drill a hole in the roost and support big enough to drop a big nail in it.

Roost Nail.JPG

Another thought is to use a 2x6 on edge as your support and cut notches in the top that the 2x2's or whatever you use can set down in them.

As you can see I did not use a board flat side up. That is a debate on here. Different people have different opinions on what works best for roosts. Some will argue that tree branches are best, others want a flat surface. Some are quite happy with a 2x4 on edge. Some feel they need a large flat area so their feathers cover their feet when they roost to keep them warm, the concern is frostbite. When mine roost on a tree branch or 2x4 on edge in cold weather their feet disappear in feathers. The coldest I've seen with my chickens is around -10F, frostbite on the feet has never been an issue. Somebody I trust on here in Alaska says it doesn't become a problem until he gets down to about -20F. Part of that may be the way his coop is built. I don't know where you are located or what winter lows you might see.

In normal conditions I'd be OK with your 2x2's. I suggest sanding the corners, not to round them so their toes can grip better but to get rid of potential splinters. My concern with the 2x2's is the span. How much might they sag with a 10' span and full of chickens? I don't know. Perhaps a way to help with that is to not put your supports at 10' but pull them in 18" or 2' from each end to reduce that span.

One way I'd consider for you would be to build a frame and hinge the back against the wall. Hang the front from the ceiling with chain and have a pulley to raise it up out of your way. Maybe crank it up with a winch. It may get a little complicated but your husband might enjoy the challenge. Or he might have some mean things to say about me for bringing it up.

I don't know how often you will clean under there. Some people seem to have a stronger urge to clean than I do. Still they poop while roosting and the poop will build up under there. I think you need access.

I was planning to use 2x2. Saw horse style is a good idea. How should I attach it to the wood to still be able to move it? I'm not the best at building but my husband can do whatever I need as long as I tell him what I want! Thank you for your help!
2x2s have a tendency to bow and wont hold up over long spans or under the weight of multiple birds. If you choose 2x2s, place a "X" support every 2-3ft max for the length of the roost.

2x4s would be better but Likely to be more costly unless you have places to scrounge. They would allow you to span up to 6ft with less deflection but 4ft would be preferable. 2x3s would also work.

Back
Top Bottom