1. poultryman17

poultryman17 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    West Central Ilinois
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]So i started with an old hog shed with double doors on each end and a "check in" window in the center. Actually is working out pretty well except for the huge dent on my forehead when i was constructing my roost. Roof is awful low. Thought I would show off my design that allows easier cleanup in the summer and fall from all the poop. Notice the rear of the roost is mounted with bolt that allow it to hinge up around 2 1/2 feet to allow for easier cleanup. I used dowel rods so they could get their feet around comfortably. My chicks are only 2 and 3 weeks old so it may be a while before they are using it. Every once in a while i will catch one up there just hanging out for a minute, but they are still napping huddled up. Feel free with any suggestion. I will be adding more pics of my 2nd chance chicken ranch once the shed is painted. Happy chicken farming!

2. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome! Your roosts seem to be a little on the small side. Adult chickens need a roost 2½ - 3 inches in diameter. A lot of folks here use a 2X4 wide side up but I won't get into that.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  3. poultryman17

poultryman17 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    West Central Ilinois
    i was wondering about that. Shoudl be fine for the little ones for now, I will have to get some bigger dowels by mid summer probably. Thanks for the info. Yea, im not doing the 2 x 4 thing, Looks to me that might be hard on their feet. Doesnt seem natural. thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by