Roost dimension

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Huskeriowa, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Hi all.

Ok I am ready to install the roost. I have read here that 10-12 inches is optimum per bird but I am wondering how much I can alter this number? I have 8" per bird that I can convert easily to roost space. I would like to do just eight inches per bird because it will leave more floor space if I do. I have read while surfing that six inches is adequate but I sorta doubt that number.

Would you go for eight inches per bird or would you lose floor space and add room on the roost? This is a small coop of only 32 sq ft for six chickens but I want it available for up to eight hens if possible. I think each area taken up with roost will reduce the usable sq ft of the coop.

If it matters the birds range in size from the largest being a Brahma to the smallest being a faverolle.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've read 9" so I imagine 8" would work. Mine squish together even more than this. It might be a problem in summer heat, though.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I'm not really understanding the problem with roost space taking up floor space. If you use a droppings board under the roost, the area under the droppings board is free and clear for use as floor space, right?

4. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    The coop is a raised coop. The height of the 'living space' in the coop itself is four feet tall. So if i put the roost 2 to 2.5 feet off the ground then the poop board is laying on the floor of the coop. So I guess I don't think I can count the area of the poop board as usable space since it is taking up floor space. Hope that makes sense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by