1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

roost dimension

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stav1981, Nov 29, 2013.

1. stav1981

stav1981 Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2013
    Hi, I have finished the cooper outer construction and I am wondering how far should the roost be from a wall, the ceiling and the ground.. I will be getting Sussex chickens, I want to give them suitable space to stretch and flap on the roost, so just wondering how far i should place the roost from the ceiling and walls etc. they are a heavy breed any tips would be great thanks. Oh by the way I will be getting a 4 inch roost if that makes any difference

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Probably about 12 or more inches from the wall......from the ceiling maybe 6 inches more than your tallest bird.

Height of roost from floor depends on how big the coop is and whether there is a ramp.
    They like to be as high as possible but if there isn't room to fly down without crashing into a wall you need a ramp or a lower roost.

All that is a good place to start, observation for a few days or weeks might show adjustments need to be made, so make thing changeable. I use screws as fasteners for that purpose.

Roosts should be higher than the nests or they will roost in the nests and poop in them.
    They need about 12" of roost space per bird, all at the same height if possible.

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I find my birds can spring up to their roost if they are within 2 feet. My coop has three levels 2 feet apart and they can utilize all levels of my 4x8 foot print coop. (I kept as many as 24 hens in my small coop no problems).

POOP BOARDS are the "BEST" addition yet. Handles well over ½ of the poop in my set up keeps ammonia smell in check 3½" below roost excellent for catching eggs laid through the night (roost are in cups for easier removal and cleaning). I recently friction fit a piece of vinyl flooring over my poop board.it makes clean up even easier; Pop out; Scrap; Hose; Pop in.

Even easier in the winter months flex over compost bin DONE!

Nest boxes
    In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new.

Easy peasy!.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  4. stav1981

May 23, 2013
    Thanks guys this website is amazing for help with my chickens, I think after building the coop for a year and reading this i know nearly everything about chickens :)

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I read for a year and learned a lot, but nothing compares to experience.....you'll keep learning (at least I hope you will) obviously you don't know everything, as you had to ask about roost spaces ;-) (please take my teasing lightly)

6. stav1981

May 23, 2013
    toché indeed :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by