Roost Egg Safety Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BarbiD, Sep 18, 2016.

1. BarbiD

BarbiD Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2016
    Hayes, Virginia
    For about two months now one of my hens keeps laying from the roost. We use contractors sand in the coop and run which does a great job absorbing poo moisture but I'm not sure if it safe to eat these eggs?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    As long as they're not cracked or broken, there is no bacteria getting in and they are safe to eat.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

I wash those ones tho.

4. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Usually any poo I get on my ladies' eggs is dry enough that it can be flicked off with my fingernail. I try and avoid washing eggs as much as possible unless they are really pooped up as I don't want to remove the bloom, which would make them even more susceptible to bacteria that could be introduced as you're washing them.

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I wash them either just before using, to keep any nasty out of my food.... or refrigerate them immediately after thoroughly washing and drying.

6. BarbiD

BarbiD Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2016
    Hayes, Virginia
    Thanks all! If they land in the poo, I through them out. If they just have sand on them, I've been gently knocking it off and putting them aside (not with my other eggs) and we use them after thorough washing. I just don't know why this one hen's clock is off and she keeps doing this after all time time!!

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is she low hen...can't get into nests?
    Is she laying after dark or during day?
    She might feel safest on roost and that's why she lays there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by