Roost Fail!

Dean W

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 8, 2013
Central Texas
My roost design seems to have failed. The chickens don't like it that much since being built. Maybe they are getting used it or I need to redesign it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I had roost bars similar to that. All the chickens would pile on the upper most bar, some would sit on the ground rather than sit on the lower bars. I took 2 old milk crates, stacked them and use that to raise the height of the lower part of the roost. So now, it's nearly even (distance from the floor) all the way across instead of being set up the way a ladder would be, leaning against the wall. Now they use all the bars and nobody sits on the floor.

Mine like ladder roosts just fine. I have two of them... But mine are made with two X fours, with the wide side up, so they can roost with their bodies covering their feet.

There are to of the ladder roosts, so the do in ant. Rooster's favorites can roost on the sqme ring. Other senior hens roost on the top of the pther ladder roost. Less senior hens roost on the second rung below that. Then less senior hens roost in the rafters an on the tops of the walls of the Kindergarten Pen insider the coop. I have about 50 chickens housed in a 17 X 20 coop (former garage).

My roost design seems to have failed. The chickens don't like it that much since being built. Maybe they are getting used it or I need to redesign it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hey Dean. May I suggest using 2x3s or 2x4s that are level to the floor or wide side up. Your design has the edge pointed up. I would imagine your chickens' feet would start to hurt a bit trying to keep their balance. That's a bit too much work for them and a tad painful, I suspect. Try building it as you would steps to your porch. I think that would help encourage your chooks to roost more comfortably.
smile.png

I can't tell exactly, but your top perch might be a little too close to the wall. If they sit facing outwards, you might end up with a poo storage system on the wall brace.

I agree with Geokan. You may find it's because of the way round you have your perches. I'm going to propose a different solution, though, as free one: tree branches. They work brilliantly and you don't need to figure out notches or angles for screwing them onto the upright supports.

I appreciate everyone's replies. Yes, looking back now it seems as though the 2x2's are a little thin especially for the heavier chickens. All of them gather up now around there nest boxes where I have some 2x2 that lay horizontally. My hopes of using the 2x2 was to save a little money and space since i could lift them up to clean under. I'll have to make some stair type step roost mentioned above by, GeoKan.

I can't tell exactly, but your top perch might be a little too close to the wall. If they sit facing outwards, you might end up with a poo storage system on the wall brace.

I agree with Geokan. You may find it's because of the way round you have your perches. I'm going to propose a different solution, though, as free one: tree branches. They work brilliantly and you don't need to figure out notches or angles for screwing them onto the upright supports.

Yes thats true I already found some "poo" on the wall braces.

I due have access to some cedar poles. I suppose I could use them, but I heard they are poisonous to chickens.

I thought it was only the fumes/dust that was toxic, but that the wood itself is fine? I can't really advise on that as I don't use cedar. Maybe someone else can help?

I get a lot of branches from gardeners.

Back
Top Bottom